I don't know of the other tools being available, but...it does look like I will have this book on Interlibrary Loan for .... quite a while longer. No promises, but if I get bored this summer..... Adam On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM John Cowan wrote: > > > On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM Adam Thornton wrote: > > The "s" editor is written by Webb Miller and appears in his book "A >> Software Tools Sampler." >> > > Wow, I never knew about this book, though I know ST and STP well, and used > ST on RSX-11/M+ and VAX/VMS for $EMPLOYER in the 1980s. Is the rest of the > source code for the book available online anywhere? > > Jez Higgins is rewriting the STP tools into modern C++. His blog posts > are at and the > code is at . He's rewritten the > tools in chapters 1 and 2 and part of 3. > > Since I find ed thoroughly unpleasant to use, having a screen editor was a >> must for me to use v7 for any length of time, and s fills that role rather >> nicely. >> > > Gotcha. I actually like line editors (you can't mung your file so > thoroughly with a single stray keystroke), but I'm willing to trade a > little standardosity for additional convenience, so I do almost all my > editing of prose and programs in `ex`, occasionally dropping into vi-mode > for matching open and close markers in Lisp and XML. > > > > John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org > If you have ever wondered if you are in hell, it has been said, then > you are on a well-traveled road of spiritual inquiry. If you are > absolutely sure you are in hell, however, then you must be on the Cross > Bronx Expressway. --Alan Feuer, New York Times, 2002-09-20 > >