Thank you! I've forwarded the link to my ex, who is also trans and also a Horton. They will get a kick out of it, I hope. Adam On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 2:42 PM Mary Ann Horton wrote: > This may be a bit off-topic, so please forgive me. Lucent is central to > the book. I want to let you know I had a memoir published today, on the > 25th anniversary of Lucent's historic policy. Here's the main part of the > press release. > > Before 1997, transgender workers were routinely fired when their employers > found out they were changing their sex. That changed on Oct. 28, 1997, when > Lucent Technologies became the first Fortune 500 company to formally commit > that it would not discriminate based on "gender identity, characteristics, > or expression". Dr. Mary Ann Horton, who instigated the change, has written > a memoir, Trailblazer: Lighting the Path for Transgender Inclusion in > Corporate America. "When I led transgender-101 workshops, my personal story > was people's favorite part. They wanted more, and Trailblazer is the > result," said Horton. "It will be released on the 25th anniversary, Oct. > 28." > > Horton was a software technology worker at Lucent in Columbus, Ohio, when > Lucent added the language. It allowed Mary Ann, then known as Mark, to come > out in the workplace without fear of reprisal. When she didn't need to > spend energy hiding part of herself, her productivity soared, and she was > promoted. Three years later, she persuaded Lucent to cover > gender-confirming medical care in their health insurance. She blazed the > trail for Apple, Avaya, Xerox, IBM, Chase, and other companies to follow. > > Nokia blogged about it today. > > > https://www.nokia.com/about-us/careers/life-at-nokia/employee-blogs/25th-anniversary-of-transgender-inclusive-language/ > > You can find the book at > https://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-Lighting-Transgender-Equality-Corporate-ebook/dp/B0B8F2BR9B > If you read it, please post a review to Amazon. > > -- > Thanks, > > *Mary Ann Horton* (she/her/ma'am) > maryannhorton.com > > "This is a great book" - Monica Helms > > "Brave and Important" - Laura L. Engel > > Available on Amazon and bn.com! > > >