The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com>
To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Thanks for Virtuallyfun! (was Re: Happy birthday, 386BSD!)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 10:47:17 -0700	[thread overview]

Jason Stevens jsteve@superglobalmegacorp.com via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en>
outdoorexpressionslimited.onmicrosoft.com wrote:
> 1988-1993 was so incredibly pivotal, much more than say 2014-2019.  I
wonder if we will ever see such a powerful window of change like that ever
again.

We did but no one was paying attention.  It was 2007-2010.  The iPhone and
Android were introduced, and the computing world went from an
Intel-architecture monopoly (which it had pretty much become by 2005) to an
Intel/ARM duopoly (because Intel and AMD focused too much on performance
and not enough on making a low-power implementation of the architecture; an
Intel-compatible chip *could* have won the mobile wars, but didn't).  In
the next couple years iPhone and Android (both on ARM) massacred all of the
mobile competition.

That also meant that the underlying OS for mobile devices became, you
guessed it, Unix (or at least something that smells a lot like it).  Which
is weird, given that something designed for single-threaded composible
text-filtering operations is now running almost all of the world's
multithreaded user-facing graphical applications, but that's the vagaries
of history for you.

Adam