The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-20 22:43 Norman Wilson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-10-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

ISBN 9781695978553, for anyone who wants to know that.

I see it for sale on amazon.com and amazon.ca, paperback, `Independently
published.'  Does anyone know if it is likely to appear in bricks-and-mortar
bookshops any time soon?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-23 23:28 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-10-23 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, norman

Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:

> ISBN 9781695978553, for anyone who wants to know that.
>
> I see it for sale on amazon.com and amazon.ca, paperback, `Independently
> published.'  Does anyone know if it is likely to appear in bricks-and-mortar
> bookshops any time soon?
>
> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

BWK used Create Space, which is Amazon, to self publish. So, I suspect
that it won't be in brick-and-mortar shops.  They may can order for
you but in that case it'd probably be more expensive than just ordering
it yourself.

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-23 23:38   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-23 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold Robbins; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019, 5:29 PM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:
>
> > ISBN 9781695978553, for anyone who wants to know that.
> >
> > I see it for sale on amazon.com and amazon.ca, paperback, `Independently
> > published.'  Does anyone know if it is likely to appear in
> bricks-and-mortar
> > bookshops any time soon?
> >
> > Norman Wilson
> > Toronto ON
>
> BWK used Create Space, which is Amazon, to self publish. So, I suspect
> that it won't be in brick-and-mortar shops.  They may can order for
> you but in that case it'd probably be more expensive than just ordering
> it yourself.

Mine arrived today. Yippie.

Warner

@ 2019-10-23 23:59     ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2019-10-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Since at least some of you are in contact with bwk, and since I haven't
seen it mentioned here, can someone please pass along a typo correction
with some semantic value?  The RTM worm was 1988, not '98.

And when you do, please pass along my appreciation for his kind words about
Mike Mahoney (my former thesis advisor, RIP) at the back when he was
talking about his sources.

And since Lee was mentioned in bwk's book...does anyone here know for sure
that Lee and Melinda Varian are still alive, and would they have contact
info for them they would be willing to share?  I worked for Melinda for a
while but have fallen out of touch.

Adam

@ 2019-10-24 17:31 ` Justin Andrusk
From: Justin Andrusk @ 2019-10-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: tuhs

Just got ordered for my birthday, w00t!

Justin

@ 2019-10-25  2:45   ` Earl Baugh
From: Earl Baugh @ 2019-10-25  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Andrusk; +Cc: tuhs

I got mine the other day and am at least a third of the way thru...I’m trying to pace myself because I’m really enjoying it and am torn by wanting to see what I’ll learn next and how bummed I’ll be when I’m done :-)

Earl

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2019-10-28 21:41 ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2019-10-28 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'm enjoying bwk's book very much, but it has me wondering. There are
two stories I've heard that supposedly occurred at Murray Hill, but he
didn't include them. I've read past the badge section and the "grepping
for my keys" comment, so I believe I've come past the right point.

Without telling the actual stories here, one involves a monkey picture
pasted onto a Bell Labs badge, the other is about an MTS who was late to
a meeting because she was grepping her apartment for her keys. I've told
these stories often, and they get a good laugh.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these stories, who told them,
whether they are true, etc?

Thanks,

     Mary Ann

@ 2019-10-28 22:09   ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2019-10-28 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 10/28/19 2:41 PM, Mary Ann Horton wrote:

> Without telling the actual stories here, one involves a monkey picture
> pasted onto a Bell Labs badge, the other is about an MTS who was late to
> a meeting because she was grepping her apartment for her keys. I've told
> these stories often, and they get a good laugh.

I don't know what happened at Bell Labs but I can tell a similar story
about what happened at Ford Aerospace, which was a very early commercial
Unix user (e.g. PWB in 1978).

Ford had secure entry points into the buildings, where you would go into
a pod that's similar to what you go though in airports these days.
While you were in the pod, you were supposed to show your badge
to a camera which was being monitored by a security person sitting
nearby. Most of these security people were humorless and seemed to
enjoy this task.

One of the people in my group was real joker. So, one day he decided
to paste a piece of a brown paper bag over his picture on his badge.
Along with this, he put a brown paper bag over his head, and went
into the security pod. The reaction of the security person was classic.
It took him a little while to overcome the fact that the badge matched
what he was seeing, and that he needed to investigate further.

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-28 23:01     ` Mary Ann Horton
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2019-10-28 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

That's similar but different in a couple of important ways. And it's not
G.R. Emlin's, that's what reminded me of it.

Here is the badge story as I heard it.

Two MTS at Murray Hill were discussing their badges. It was routine to
walk into the building, show the guard your badge, and keep walking.

One guy said "They never look at those things!  I'll bet I could paste a
picture of a monkey on my badge, and he'd never notice it!". The other
guy said "You're on!".

So the first guy pastes a monkey picture on his badge. The second guy
tips off the guard, and watches from inside the building.

The first guy comes into the building and flashes his monkey badge to
the guard. No reaction, so he keeps on walking. A few second later, the
guard calls after him. "Hey, come back here! Let me see your badge." The
guy knows he's in trouble, but he comes back and hands the guard his badge.

The guard looks at the badge. He looks at the employee. He looks at the
badge. He looks at the employee. He looks at the badge.

Handing the badge back to the employee, he says "OK, you can go!"

@ 2019-10-28 23:18       ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2019-10-28 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 10/28/2019 4:01 PM, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> That's similar but different in a couple of important ways. And it's not
> G.R. Emlin's, that's what reminded me of it.
>
> Here is the badge story as I heard it.

You're right. Your story is very similar to mine. I wonder
if my friend heard the Bell Labs story and decided to try
it at Ford. Your description of the guard's reaction was
better, and more accurate, than mine.

In my case, I know it happened because I was there.

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-28 23:49       ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2019-10-28 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: tuhs

Mary Ann Horton wrote in <4caae9f3-a9dd-1a77-6f2b-633cba870562@mhorton.net>:
 |That's similar but different in a couple of important ways. And it's not
 |G.R. Emlin's, that's what reminded me of it.
 |
 |Here is the badge story as I heard it.
 |
 |Two MTS at Murray Hill were discussing their badges. It was routine to
 |walk into the building, show the guard your badge, and keep walking.
 |
 |One guy said "They never look at those things!  I'll bet I could paste a
 |picture of a monkey on my badge, and he'd never notice it!". The other
 |guy said "You're on!".
 |
 |So the first guy pastes a monkey picture on his badge. The second guy
 |tips off the guard, and watches from inside the building.
 |
 |The first guy comes into the building and flashes his monkey badge to
 |the guard. No reaction, so he keeps on walking. A few second later, the
 |guard calls after him. "Hey, come back here! Let me see your badge." The
 |guy knows he's in trouble, but he comes back and hands the guard his badge.
 |
 |The guard looks at the badge. He looks at the employee. He looks at the
 |badge. He looks at the employee. He looks at the badge.
 |
 |Handing the badge back to the employee, he says "OK, you can go!"

Early side channel attack.

--steffen

@ 2019-10-29  2:05       ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2019-10-29  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Regarding badge stories, my favorite is Richard Feynman, who found a hole in the fence at Los Alamos and one day exited four times without going in.  (Recollection of the story, I think in Surely You’re Joking…)

But that reminds me of my favorite arithmetic problem:

Q:  explain negative numbers
A;  Four people go into an empty room.  Seven people leave.  How many people have to go into the room before it is empty again?

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-29 20:13   ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2019-10-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Thanks to Jon's super response on the first story, we know it originally
occurred at Ford Aerospace.

Let me tell the other story. Perhaps someone will know some details.

When I tell it, usually to nontechnical people, I prefix it by
explaining that UNIX has 3 different grep programs, all of which find
text in files. There is regular grep. There is fgrep, the "fixed grep",
which is simpler and only looks for basic text. And there is egrep, the
"enhanced grep", that will look for fancy patterns and is very powerful.
You would expect that fgrep, being the simplest, would be the fastest,
but as it turns out, egrep is the fastest and fgrep is the slowest.

One day at a meeting at Bell Labs, an MTS came rushing into the meeting,
all out of breath. "Sorry I'm late, I was grepping my apartment for my
keys."

Dryly, the boss replied "You should have used egrep. It's faster."

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-11-01 22:24   ` Chris Hanson
From: Chris Hanson @ 2019-11-01 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

On Oct 23, 2019, at 4:28 PM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

> BWK used Create Space, which is Amazon, to self publish. So, I suspect
> that it won't be in brick-and-mortar shops.  They may can order for
> you but in that case it'd probably be more expensive than just ordering
> it yourself.

Amazon does have a small number of physical storefronts (for example, there’s one at Santana Row in San Jose, CA) and they’ll actually put print-on-demand books on the shelves there too. Shelf placement appears to be algorithmic by popularity so it wouldn’t surprise me to see Kernighan’s book the next time I pop in.

  -- Chris
  -- who always has to resist the urge to say “Alexa, play Despacito” when walking past the helper-cylinder display

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-22 21:51   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2019-10-22 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Papenhoff; +Cc: TUHS main list

Telling secrets out of school.

-rob

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:38 AM Angelo Papenhoff <aap@papnet.eu> wrote:

> Found an easter egg: Grace Emlin is credited with helping with the book
> on page xiii.

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-22 21:38 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2019-10-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2019-10-21 21:40 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2019-10-21 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

I would pay extra for a copy titled A History of the Unix-speaking Peoples.

@ 2019-10-21  2:41   ` Caipenghui
From: Caipenghui @ 2019-10-21  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, Warner Losh, Naveen Nathan; +Cc: TUHS main list

ok,He looks good..Hope to produce an electronic version......

于 2019年10月21日 GMT+08:00 上午6:05:30, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> 写到:

@ 2019-10-21  0:54   ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2019-10-21  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

heh.  +1 on both points

@ 2019-10-21  0:06 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-10-21  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naveen Nathan; +Cc: tuhs

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-20 22:05 ` Warner Losh
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naveen Nathan; +Cc: TUHS main list

Any way to buy it on kindle?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 3:35 PM Naveen Nathan <tuhs@t.lastninja.net> wrote:

> It can be purchased here:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/1695978552/
>
> - Naveen

* [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
@ 2019-10-20 21:34 Naveen Nathan
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Naveen Nathan @ 2019-10-20 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs