On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:17 AM Paul Winalski wrote: > On 1/30/22, Steve Nickolas wrote: > > And I think I've heard the Infocom compilers' bytecode called "Z-code" (I > > use this term too). > That is correct. The Infocom games ran on an interpreter for an > abstract machine called the Z-machine. Z-code is the Z-machine's > instruction set. There is a freeware implementation out there called > Frotz. > > There's a reasonably functional Frotz implementation for TOPS-20, as it happens. The ZIP interpreter was easier to port to 2.11BSD on the PDP-11. https://github.com/athornton/tops20-frotz Adam