"SHARE. It's not an acronym. It's what we do." *Still* a bad-ass slogan after all these years. Adam On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 7:22 PM Douglas McIlroy < douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > > Arguably ancient PDP-10 operating systems like ITS, WAITS, TENEX were > > somewhat "open" and "free", but it's not a clear cut case. > > The open source movement was a revival of the old days of SHARE and other > user groups. > > SAP, the SHARE assembly program for the IBM 704, was freely available--with > source code--to all members of the SHARE user group. I am not aware of any > restrictions on redistribution. > > Other more specialized programs were also freely available through SHARE. > In > particular, Fortran formatted IO was adopted directly from a SHARE program > written by Roy Nutt (who also wrote SAP and helped write Fortran I). > > Bell Labs freely distributed the BESYS operating system for the IBM 704. > At the time (1958) no operating system was available from IBM. > > IBM provided source code for the Fortran II compiler. In the > fashion of the time, I spent a memorable all-night session with > that code at hand, finding and fixing a bizarre bug (a computed GOTO > bombed if the number of branches was 74 mod 75) with a bizarre cause > (the code changed the index-register field in certain instructions on the > fly--inconsistently). And there was no operating system to help, because > BESYS swapped itself out to make room for the compiler. > > Doug >