I was today years old when I learned that GNU sort has a -h option. Which doesn't mean "help" but means "use human-friendly units." Except I sort of derived its existence from first principles. Someone wanted a way to find disk hogs (they were on a Linux box), but also wanted SI units, and I said to myself, "self, doesn't that sound like exactly the sort of baroque and vaguely nauseating option that GNU would add to sort?" Turns out it is. Well, I mean, the MacOS man page just says that -h is an extension to POSIX (yes, it's there on MacOS too), but I will eat a small hat of mine if it didn't come to sort via GNU. Adam On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 5:07 PM John Cowan wrote: > > > On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 3:47 PM Alejandro Colomar > wrote: > > I wish shells didn't supoprt globbing, and that glob(1) would be a >> standalone >> program still today. It would simplify much of the quoting issues if >> most >> characters were just characters to the shell. >> > > I like the way the rc shell works: globbing is done, but any word in > single quotes suppresses all interpretation (double quote has no meaning) >