Interesting. In my head, v7 is kind of the pinnacle of what you should run on a PDP-11 (yes, I know 2.11BSD is still maintained), but that once you add a networking stack, the 16-bit address limitations really start to hurt, no matter how clever you are with your overlays. But when I think of v7, in my mind it's running on an 11/70. I also find the multilayer switching described in the streams networking implementation a lot like "inetd, all the way down." That's kinda nifty. Adam On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 10:57 AM Doug McIlroy wrote: > > > How long was research running on a PDP-11 and when did they move to a > VAX? > > London and Reiser had ported Unix to the VAX, replete with virtual memory, > in 1978. By the time v7 was released (1979), Vaxen had become the workhorse > machines in Research. > > Doug >