It’s possible I am conflating two conferences in my head and the NetBSD thing was NYC not Atlanta. On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 8:42 PM Gregg Levine wrote: > Hello! > Adam? Seriously? That was the case when I visited them at one year's > LinuxWorld. (I think it was the one when we met.) And yes at the > System Z Council meetings I would catch up with them. > > Larry? It is funny, but earlier on I did mention all of that in a > completely different thread. > > But why would the characters at what was SCO start this > stupidity all over again? I seem to be missing something. > ----- > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com > "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again." > > On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 10:48 PM Adam Thornton wrote: > > > > > > > > On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 8:54 PM Wesley Parish > wrote: > >> > >> So from IBM's POV, they could > >> support Linux - which by then had already been ported to the VM/370 > >> and there was already talk of porting it to the later mainframe > >> iterations. I don't think anybody was even thinking of porting any of > >> the *BSD to IBM mainframes till much later, am I right? > > > > > > This is not how I remember it going down. > > > > There was an external-to-IBM "Bigfoot" port to S/390 (not S/370) that > IBM was ignoring until it got alarmingly close to booting, and then all of > a sudden there was an IBM port to S/390. Clearly (well, *I* thought it was > clear) they'd had a skunkworks project for some time and Bigfoot forced > their hand. (Unix v7 *did* run on S/370, and resurrecting that is one of > my hobby projects that hasn't really gotten off the ground). > > > > I was the system administrator of the first publicly-accessible > Linux-on-S/390 machine--penguinvm.princeton.edu--and indeed in the late 90s > I and my mentor David Boyes met with some pretty high-level people at IBM > to advise them how we thought they should proceed. They seemed to take > much of our advice, but then again I don't think we said anything very > crazy. (At the time, and for years thereafter, I was with Sine Nomine > Associates. They're still around.) > > > > I also later managed the port of OpenSolaris to zSeries, which, if IBM > had bought Sun rather than Oracle, would have made my life very different. > Neale Ferguson did most of the heavy lifting on that port, but I did a lot > of the tool porting and wrote a disk driver. Alas, IBM tightened the > screws a little too far and apparently didn't know that Sun had an offer > from Oracle in its back pocket. > > > > But back to the S/390 port--I went to a Linux conference in Atlanta in > the late 90s ('99, I think) to speak about Linux on S390/Z, and I actually > went by the NetBSD booth to say, "hey, I can maybe hook you guys up with a > development virtual machine," and what I got was an earful about "your > so-called portability" from someone who was clearly much more invested in > hating Linux than in, you know, saying, "wow, OK, I realize you're not > offering me cycles on a super-awesome machine, but, yeah, it's not nothing, > cool, here's who you should talk to if you're interested in getting a port > going." > > > > So I don't think you can lay all the blame on BSD inaction on Linux, is > all I'm saying. By '99, I think it was, maybe if NetBSD, which already had > its reputation for spectacular portability, hadn't staffed its booth with a > jackass still trying to fight the Unix Wars, that story might have turned > out differently. > > > > Adam >