You could argue that the most direct descendant is the one in which all resources are presented and accessed via open/read/write/close. If your kernel has separate system calls for reading directories, or setting up network connections, or debugging processes, then you may not be a direct descendant, at least philosophically (and, yes, I know about ptrace ...) But your kernel might be Plan 9, which at least to me, is the direct descendant. :-) On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 10:51 AM Will Senn wrote: > On 6/5/24 12:34 PM, segaloco via TUHS wrote: > > On Wednesday, June 5th, 2024 at 3:17 AM, Andrew Lynch via TUHS < > tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote: > > > >> Hi > >> > >> Out of curiosity, what would be considered the most direct descendent > of Unix available today? > >> > >> ... > >> > >> Thanks, Andrew Lynch > > snip > > Given this, my humble opinion (which again this sort of thing I believe > is largely a philosophical matter of opinion...) is that the BSD line > captures the spirit of Research UNIX much more than System V does, while > System V retains much more of the source code lineage of what most folks > would consider a "pure" UNIX. Of course all of this too is predicated on > treating V7 (really 32V...) as that central point of divergence. > When I saw this thread appear, I was of two minds about it, but this > lines up with where my thoughts were headed. I've done a lot of delving > into the v6/v7 environments over the last 10 years or so and it feels > much closer in kinship to BSD derivatives than to SysV... source code > lineages aside. Also, I get more mileage out of my BSD books and docs > than those treating SysV. I'd vote for *BSD as sticking closest to the > unix way, if there is still such a thing... I say this as I just typed > 'kldload linux64' into freebsd's terminal so I could run sublime > alongside nvi... sometimes I wish I was a purist, but I'm way too fond > of experimentation :). > > Will >