https://web.archive.org/web/20130521183231/http://jack.hoa.org/hoajaa/BurrMain.html has the burroughs info. On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM ron minnich wrote: > I just stumbled across an old letter, from a VP of Burroughs to me and > Steve Bartels, authorizing $30,000 for a port of Unix to the E-mode stack > machine. I had forgotten getting it. > > Burroughs was famed for its stack machines. E-mode was a kind of last gasp > attempt to save the stack architecture, which failed as far as I know, see > this table: > http://jack.hoa.org/hoajaa/Burr126b.html > > I worked as a hardware engineer on the A15. I also had been a Unix user > for 7 years at that point and kept pointing out how awful the Burroughs > CANDE time-sharing system was, and how much better Unix was. At some point > I guess they asked me to put up or shut up. I got that money, and left > Burroughs a week later for grad school. > > Funny note: A15 was Motorola ECL (MECL), and ran at 16 Mhz., considered > fast at that time. We used a technique called "stored logic" which was, > believe it or not, using MECL RAM to map logic inputs to outputs, i.e. > implement combinational logic with SRAM. Kind of nuts, but it worked at the > time. We also used a precursor of JTAG to scan it in. Those of you who know > JTAG have some idea of how fun this had to be. > > One side effect of working with MECL is you realized just how well > designed the TI 7400 SSI/MSI parts were ... MECL always just felt like an > awkward family to design with. > > Another funny story, pointing to what was about to happen to Burroughs. We > had an app that ran for hours on the stack machine. We quick ported it to a > VAX, started it up, and headed out to lunch -- "this will take a while, > let's go eat." We got to the front door and: "Oh, wait, let me hop back > into the office,I forgot my jacket". And, noticed, the program was done in > ... about 3 minutes. Not 8 hours. > > That's when we knew it was game over for Burroughs. > > If a picture of this letter would be useful in some archive somewhere, let > me know, I can send it. > > >