well, it depends on what you want, but tinycorelinux has worked well for me, and it fits in about 24M On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 6:42 PM Alexis wrote: > Larry McVoy writes: > > > This is all well and good but what I, and I suspect other > > boomers like me, > > are looking for, is something like Ubuntu without systemd. I'm > > a xubuntu > > guy (Ubuntu with a lighter weight desktop), but whatever. > > Ubuntu is fine, > > everything works there. > > > > So is there an "Everything just works" distro without systemd? > > A guy can > > hope but I suspect not. > > Mm, well, i guess that depends on what one's "everything" is. i > used Ubuntu years ago - having moved from Mandriva - and was > pleased by how everything "just worked". But over time i started > experiencing various issues where things _didn't_ just work (i > can't remember what now; i think printing might have been one > thing), which became increasingly frustrating. So i moved to > Debian, and had a much more "just works" experience. But then > Debian moved to systemd, and i started getting frustrated again in > various ways, and so i moved to Void. > > Void's a binary distro, and i don't recall having any more issues > with it than i ended up having with Ubuntu. And for experienced > *n*x users, the installation process is trivial (even if the > installer is text-based, rather than involving snazzy graphics). > > > I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass but I'm 62, I prefer to > > spend my > > effort on fishing on the ocean, I'm not some young guy that > > wants to > > put in a ton of hours on my Linux install > > Fwiw, i'm a 50-year-old woman. :-) My first distro was RedHat 5.2, > around the end of '97. > > To me, this is a "bubbles in wallpaper" thing. i've spent the time > setting up Gentoo because i'm now at the point where i'm clear on > what i do and don't need/want (in general), and i'm trying to > minimise the extent to which i'm beholden to having to deal with > breaking changes to subsystems / libraries / software that i don't > need/want, or with breakages i don't know how to immediately fix > or workaround. Because i have _many_ other life commitments > myself, and i've never distro-hopped just for the fun of it; i've > always been driven to do so, for various reasons. My distro is > merely a means to an end, not the end in itself. > > (i've taken on s6 documentation stuff because although there's no > shortage of people wanting alternatives to systemd, there are far > fewer people volunteering to do even small amounts of the work > necessary for that.) > > > Alexis. >