I'm curious, as to the original topic of this discussion: can anyone justify systemd-homed and how it works? Does that even look like 0% of a unix idea? On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 8:56 PM ron minnich wrote: > yeah, I was on a rant that day, it actually made it into the plan 9 > fortunes > 'You want to make your way in the CS field? Simple. Calculate rough time > of amnesia (hell, 10 years is plenty, probably 10 months is plenty), go to > the dusty archives, dig out something fun, and go for it. It's worked for > many people, and it can work for you. - Ron Minnich > ' > I'm sorry to say, it still seems to work that way. > > I just saw a talk from red hat about putting linux in flash to use as a > boot loader, for example, and the authors somehow ignored the last 25 years > and acted like they invented it. Amazing. Turns out 10 minutes is enough. > > On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 6:05 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > >> On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 08:48:16PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote: >> > > From: Clem Cole >> > >> > > Frankly my major complaint with much of the modern world is that >> when we >> > > ignore the past >> > >> > "There are two kinds of fools. One says, 'This is old, therefore it is >> good'; >> > the other says, 'This is new, therefore it is better.'" -- Dean Inge, >> quoted >> > by John Brunner in "The Shockwave Rider". >> >> "Want to be a hero in the computer science world? Find a good paper from >> 5 or 10 years ago and rewrite it. Everyone will think you're a genius" >> >> -- Ron Minnich >> >> I paraphrased, Ron, feel free to correct me. >> -- >> --- >> Larry McVoy Retired to fishing >> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat >> >