On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:57 PM Dan Cross wrote: > On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 4:05 AM wrote: > >> When DNS came along, it became >> a matter of editing /etc/nsswitch.conf to include dns as one of the >> options along with files and yp/nis. I think the average user didn't >> see any big difference since all the apps (ftp, telnet) just went >> through gethostbyname(). >> > > This doesn't mesh with my memory. I recall building BIND from source and > having to rebuild network programs (e.g. on 4.3 on the RT or VAXen) to pick > up the new version of libresolv.a, and hacking the resolver library into > libc.so on Suns. I remember using resolv.conf fairly early on, but my > memory is that nsswitch.conf came later (Solaris 2.x era?). Ultrix did have > a configuration file for where to do host lookups, but I think the set of > sources was fixed: files, NIS or DNS. > I always assumed that nsswitch came much later than DNS, based just on the fact that Linux glibc on older systems still ships an /etc/host.conf "resolver configuration file" that has such parameters as "order hosts,bind,nis" (although they're inoperative). -- Mantas Mikulėnas