The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Put a copy of the TUHS mail archive into the Unix Archive?
@ 2017-02-24  6:37 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-02-24  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it worth putting a copy of this mailing list into the Unix Archive?
I don't want to dump the mbox in, as it has all our e-mail addresses:
spam etc. I could symlink in the monthly text archives, e.g.

http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December.txt.gz

What do you think? Perhaps in Documentation/TUHS_Mail?

	Warren
* [TUHS] Put a copy of the TUHS mail archive into the Unix Archive?
@ 2017-02-24 21:45 ` Dave Horsfall
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-02-24 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:

[...]

> Is it worth putting a copy of this mailing list into the Unix Archive? I
> don't want to dump the mbox in, as it has all our e-mail addresses: spam
> etc. I could symlink in the monthly text archives, e.g.

It definitely ought to be archived, if you can obscure the email addresses
whilst making them humanoid-readable.  Damned spammers...

Could the task (of de-spamming the archive) be farmed out to some
volunteers?  I will raise my hand, of course.

* [TUHS] Put a copy of the TUHS mail archive into the Unix Archive?
@ 2017-02-24 21:57   ` Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2017-02-24 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eh... I think the horse has already bolted:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-February/008526.html

It would seem to be relatively easy to harvest the addresses of all posters already.

Pa

@ 2017-02-24 22:11   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-02-24 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 08:45:29AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> It definitely ought to be archived, if you can obscure the email addresses
> whilst making them humanoid-readable.  Damned spammers...

I've symlinked the mailman text archives in to the archive here:
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/TUHS/Mail_list/

Mailman does obfuscate the e-mail addresses somewhat.

Cheers, Warren
* [TUHS] Put a copy of the TUHS mail archive into the Unix Archive?
@ 2017-02-25  2:10 ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-02-25  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think like the UTZOO archives, it would be incredibly invaluable

On February 24, 2017 2:37:44 PM GMT+08:00, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>Is it worth putting a copy of this mailing list into the Unix Archive?
>I don't want to dump the mbox in, as it has all our e-mail addresses:
>spam etc. I could symlink in the monthly text archives, e.g.
>
>http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December.txt.gz
>
>What do you think? Perhaps in Documentation/TUHS_Mail?
>
>	Warren

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Put a copy of the TUHS mail archive into the Unix Archive?
@ 2017-02-25  4:35   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2017-02-25  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017, at 16:45, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Is it worth putting a copy of this mailing list into the Unix Archive? I
> > don't want to dump the mbox in, as it has all our e-mail addresses: spam
> > etc. I could symlink in the monthly text archives, e.g.
>
> It definitely ought to be archived, if you can obscure the email
> addresses
> whilst making them humanoid-readable.  Damned spammers...
>
> Could the task (of de-spamming the archive) be farmed out to some
> volunteers?  I will raise my hand, of course.

The archive files already have the email addresses minimally obfuscated
(with "at"), and are already available in the right hand column at
http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/ (which is probably a softer
target for spam bots than the archive itself) - it seems unlikely that
putting them in as-is would increase the amount of spam people get.