The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] [tuhs] Computer history preservation
@ 2019-09-16 21:48 Nelson H. F. Beebe
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2019-09-16 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

A major topic on this list has been the preservation of computer
history, through museums that collect and operate old hardware,
software emulation of past hardware and software systems, and data
recovery from newly discovered, but previously thought to be lost,
archives.

I came across an article today about another major industry that has
been exceedingly careless about preserving its history:

        Wipe Out: When the BBC Kept Erasing Its Own History
        https://getpocket.com/explore/item/wipe-out-when-the-bbc-kept-erasing-its-own-history

It is a must-read for Dr Who fans on this list.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -

* Re: [TUHS] [tuhs] Computer history preservation
@ 2019-09-16 22:24 ` Gregg Levine
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gregg Levine @ 2019-09-16 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: Tuhs

Hello!
Thank you Nelson. That confirms largely what I've largely already
known from other sources. Suffice to say a lot of the Doctor Who
episodes confirmed are being restored, just not the way we wanted.....
However everything from Third down to the latest is available.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com

@ 2019-09-16 23:44 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-09-16 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

[...]

> I came across an article today about another major industry that has
> been exceedingly careless about preserving its history:
>
>        Wipe Out: When the BBC Kept Erasing Its Own History
>        https://getpocket.com/explore/item/wipe-out-when-the-bbc-kept-erasing-its-own-history
>
> It is a must-read for Dr Who fans on this list.

Indeed; quite shameful, really.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] [tuhs] Computer history preservation
@ 2019-09-17  0:28 ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2019-09-17  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: tuhs

On 2019-Sep-16 15:48:36 -0600, "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu> wrote:
>I came across an article today about another major industry that has
>been exceedingly careless about preserving its history:
>
>        Wipe Out: When the BBC Kept Erasing Its Own History
>        https://getpocket.com/explore/item/wipe-out-when-the-bbc-kept-erasing-its-own-history
>
>It is a must-read for Dr Who fans on this list.

It didn't only affect TV, much of The Goons originals were also destroyed (at least
one episode now sold by the BBC is an off-air recording by a fan because that's the
best extant copy).

And NASA destroyed the tapes holding the original Apollo 11 moonwalk
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_missing_tapes).

--
Peter Jeremy

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] [tuhs] Computer history preservation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-09-17  5:21 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2019-09-17  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: tuhs

"Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu> writes:
> I came across an article today about another major industry that has
> been exceedingly careless about preserving its history

It's an extenssion of the hype cycle.  It starts like this:

1. Technology Trigger
2. Peak of Inflated Expectations
3. Trough of Disillusionment
4. Slope of Enlightenment
5. Plateau of Productivity

What is usually not pictured is the rest of the curve:

6. Dip of Sunset Technology.
7. Valley of Obsolete Stuff.
8. Throwing Away of Old Junk.
9. Resurge of Nostalgia.
10. Frantic Search on Ebay.
11. The Even Higher Peak of Collector's Holy Grail.

* Re: [TUHS] [tuhs] Computer history preservation
@ 2019-09-17  7:46   ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2019-09-17  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Jeremy; +Cc: tuhs

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2019-Sep-16 15:48:36 -0600, "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu> wrote:
>> I came across an article today about another major industry that has
>> been exceedingly careless about preserving its history:
>>
>>        Wipe Out: When the BBC Kept Erasing Its Own History
>>        https://getpocket.com/explore/item/wipe-out-when-the-bbc-kept-erasing-its-own-history
>>
>> It is a must-read for Dr Who fans on this list.
>
> It didn't only affect TV, much of The Goons originals were also destroyed (at least
> one episode now sold by the BBC is an off-air recording by a fan because that's the
> best extant copy).
>
> And NASA destroyed the tapes holding the original Apollo 11 moonwalk
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_missing_tapes).

Toei Animation wiped the audio masters for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.
What remains is low-quality optical audio from film prints.  (They did the
same for Dragon Ball GT but some TV stations managed to preserve the
audio, so it's not as much of a problem as it is for the previous series.)

-uso.

* Re: [TUHS] [tuhs] Computer history preservation
@ 2019-09-17 15:33   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-09-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: TUHS main list