The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix on DEC AlphaServer 4000
@ 2020-09-19  3:26 Paul Riley
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Paul Riley @ 2020-09-19  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I have an opportunity to buy a DEC AlphaServer. Is there a version of Unix
which will run on this?

Paul

*Paul Riley*

* Re: [TUHS] Unix on DEC AlphaServer 4000
@ 2020-09-20  5:29 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2020-09-20  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

You're a bit harsh on the developers but I think in most cases it was
the marketing/finance  part of companies which decided on such mundane
matters as licensing.

My 2-1/2 cents.

Cheers,
uncle rubl

>Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 12:42:39 -0700
>From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
>To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
>Cc: "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu>, tuhs
>        <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
>Subject: Re: [TUHS] Unix on DEC AlphaServer 4000

... snip ...

>License managers now count as DRM, under the Digital Millennium
>Copyright Act (though no such laws had been passed when the license
>managers were first created).  So: is it worth breaking the law in many
>countries, to maintain a historical curiosity?

>Personally, I would throw DRM-encrusted software, and the hardware that
>is dependent on it, into the dustbin of history.  Its creators had fair.
>warning that they were making their products unusable after they stopped
>caring to maintain them.  They didn't care about their place in history,
>nor about their users.  They did it anyway, for short-term profit and to
>harass those people foolish enough to be their customers.  Their memes
>should not be passed to future generations.  As Sir Walter Scott
>suggested in another context, they "doubly dying, shall go down, to the.
>vile dust, from whence [they] sprung, unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung".

        John