The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-02-28 19:11 Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-02-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
and found no mention of UNIX.

N.

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-02-28 19:30 ` Corey Lindsly
From: Corey Lindsly @ 2017-02-28 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
> and found no mention of UNIX.
>
> N.

Certainly so. I don't know what the call-processing module ran, but on the
Administration Module side it was real-time UNIX running on a 3B20D (D for
Duplexed). I even have a bunch of source code for it on microfiche
somewhere, although I probably should not admit to this.

When I lived in Philadelphia in the early 1990s Temple University tried to
give me one of their 3B20S (S for Simplex) systems that was being
decommissioned. The size of several refrigerators, lamentably, I was not
able to give it a home. I hope it found one ..

--corey

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-02-28 19:35 ` Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2017-02-28 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> writes on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:11:24 -0500:

>> I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
>> and found no mention of UNIX.

There is complete coverage of the Bell Labs journal family in the TUG
archives at

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/index-table-b.html#bstj1920
	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/index-table-b.html#bstj2000

I find several mentions of the 5ESS in the years 1984--2000:

MariaDB [bibtex]> select filename, label, substr(title,1,60) from bibtab
    ->     where (title like '%5ESS%')
    ->      and (filename like 'bstj%')
    ->     order by filename, year, label;
+--------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| filename     | label               | substr(title,1,60)                                           |
+--------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| bstj1980.bib | McRoy:1984:SSL      | SLC 96 subscriber loop carrier system: integration with the  |
| bstj1980.bib | Basinger:1985:SSS   | The 5ESS switching system: system development environment    |
| bstj1980.bib | Carney:1985:SSA     | The 5ESS switching system: architectural overview            |
| bstj1980.bib | Delatore:1985:SSO   | The 5ESS switching system: operational software              |
| bstj1980.bib | Fuhrer:1985:SSO     | The 5ESS switching system: operations, administration, and m |
| bstj1980.bib | Haugk:1985:SSM      | The 5ESS switching system: maintenance capabilities          |
| bstj1980.bib | Carney:1986:PIS     | Planning for ISDN in the 5ESS switch                         |
| bstj1980.bib | Higdon:1986:PIS     | Planning for ISDN in the 5ESS switch                         |
| bstj1980.bib | Dowden:1989:OSF     | Operator services feature of the 5ESS switch                 |
| bstj1990.bib | Brunsen:1991:ASH    | AT&T 5ESS switch hardware development methodology. a procedu |
| bstj1990.bib | Farley:1992:SUM     | The 5ESS switch US market front end process                  |
| bstj1990.bib | Lie:1992:GTD        | Global Teamwork: Developing International ISDN Capabilities  |
| bstj1990.bib | Gauldin:1993:WMS    | 5ESS wireless mobile switching center                        |
| bstj1990.bib | Hornbach:1993:SNG   | 5ESS-2000 Switch: The Next Generation Switching System       |
| bstj1990.bib | Holland:1994:SEC    | The 5ESS-2000 switch: exceeding customer expectations        |
| bstj1990.bib | Thompson:1995:SCG   | 5ESS-2000 switch cellular gateway                            |
| bstj1990.bib | Wightman:1995:DEA   | Design for environment attributes of the AT&T 5ESS switch    |
| bstj1990.bib | Bielawski:1997:RPS  | 5ESSreg packet switched network with ATM interconnect for CD |
| bstj1990.bib | Gana:1997:SMA       | Statistical modeling applied to managing global 5ESSreg -200 |
| bstj1990.bib | Kruisbrink:1997:SDE | On-site data evolution for a 5ESSreg switch retrofit         |
| bstj2000.bib | Barshefsky:2000:RFS | 5ESSreg field switch performance capture                     |
+--------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
21 rows in set (0.04 sec)

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-10  8:04   ` Erik E. Fair
From: Erik E. Fair @ 2017-03-10  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Environment_Real-Time

	Erik

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-12 16:21     ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-03-12 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 March 2017 at 03:04, Erik E. Fair <fair-tuhs at netbsd.org> wrote:
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Environment_Real-Time

Thank you, Erik, and very interesting (being an old embedded-systems
guy).  I am chasing down the references.

N.

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-12 19:35 ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2017-03-12 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Being just down the road, AT&T gave us a lot of their own branded compute equipment, a 3B20, a couple of 3B5’s, and countless 3B2’s.

The 3B2 was amusing as I tried to work the power switch and it told me I didn’t have sufficient permissions.

The 3B20 you powered down by turning the switch to standby and holding a button down (this is very akin to how you put the original arpanet 303 broadband modems into loopback).

The 3B5 was distinguished in that even though I was in the basement of a 7 story building, the roof leaked into our machine room.    One day in attempt to find the leak, we had the campus fire department pump water in various places in the building courtyard.    We finally found the leak was a broken drain pipe, but not before about a hundred gallons of water flowed into the machine room ceiling and directly on top of the 3B5.    The 3B5 took a licking, but like the timex, kept on ticking.

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-12 16:35 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On 10 March 2017 at 03:04, Erik E. Fair <fair-tuhs at netbsd.org> wrote:

    > See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Environment_Real-Time

I'd love to get ahold of a copy of PDP-11 MERT (which surely holds no
significant trade secrets by now) to play with, since it seems like a very
historic, and possibly influential (given what was published about it in the
BSTJ, and elsewhere), but so far I have not been able to find it.

I had a lead to one of the authors (who's now in a very different line of
work), but so far I have yet to find the time to try and run that one down,
to see if anything came of it.

If anyone knows of such, please let me know!

	Noel

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-01  4:20 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-03-01  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:11:24 -0500
>From: Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com>
>To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs at tuhs.org>
>Subject: [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
>
>>I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
>and found no mention of UNIX.
>
>N.

My Prentice Hall "UNIX(R) System V Release 4, Programmer's Guide:
Streams" lists AT&T copyrights from 1984 - 1990 and UNIX Systems
Laboratories, Inc. 1991-1992.

Rudi

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-02-28 21:12 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-02-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

As Corey said, administrative computers in switching centers
ran Unix, but the call-processing machines ran an unrelated
operating system. The Unix lab did influence that operating
system. Bob Morris instigated, and Joe Condon, Lee McMahon,
Ken Thompson and others built TPC (the phone company), a switching
system controlled by a PDP-11. This system actually ran the
phones in CS Research for several years. ESS5 adopted some
of TPC's architecture, though none of its code.

Doug