The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-02-28 19:11 Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-02-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
and found no mention of UNIX.

N.

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-02-28 21:12 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-02-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

As Corey said, administrative computers in switching centers
ran Unix, but the call-processing machines ran an unrelated
operating system. The Unix lab did influence that operating
system. Bob Morris instigated, and Joe Condon, Lee McMahon,
Ken Thompson and others built TPC (the phone company), a switching
system controlled by a PDP-11. This system actually ran the
phones in CS Research for several years. ESS5 adopted some
of TPC's architecture, though none of its code.

Doug

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-01  4:20 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-03-01  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:11:24 -0500
>From: Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com>
>To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs at tuhs.org>
>Subject: [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
>
>>I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
>and found no mention of UNIX.
>
>N.

My Prentice Hall "UNIX(R) System V Release 4, Programmer's Guide:
Streams" lists AT&T copyrights from 1984 - 1990 and UNIX Systems
Laboratories, Inc. 1991-1992.

Rudi

* [TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?
@ 2017-03-12 16:35 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On 10 March 2017 at 03:04, Erik E. Fair <fair-tuhs at netbsd.org> wrote:

    > See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Environment_Real-Time

I'd love to get ahold of a copy of PDP-11 MERT (which surely holds no
significant trade secrets by now) to play with, since it seems like a very
historic, and possibly influential (given what was published about it in the
BSTJ, and elsewhere), but so far I have not been able to find it.

I had a lead to one of the authors (who's now in a very different line of
work), but so far I have yet to find the time to try and run that one down,
to see if anything came of it.

If anyone knows of such, please let me know!

	Noel