* [TUHS] What would "a unix restaurant" look like?
@ 2021-02-16 21:59 Tyler Adams
From: Tyler Adams @ 2021-02-16 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I've been writing about unix design principles recently and tried
explaining "The Rule of Silence" by imagining unix as a restaurant
<http://codefaster.substack.com/p/rule-of-silence>. Do you agree with how I
presented it? Would you do it differently?
 Tyler

* Re: [TUHS] What would "a unix restaurant" look like?
@ 2021-02-17  1:33 ` Rich Morin
From: Rich Morin @ 2021-02-17  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> On Feb 16, 2021, at 13:59, Tyler Adams <coppero1237@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been writing about Unix design principles recently and tried explaining
> "The Rule of Silence" by imagining Unix as a restaurant.  Do you agree with
> how I presented it?  Would you do it differently?

Apple's A/UX team used to joke about Mac versus Unix restaurant ordering, eg:

W: What would you like to order?
U: I'd like a green salad, with blue cheese dressing on the side, no croutons.

W: Would you like to order an appetizer, dessert, entree, or side dish?
M: I'd like to order a side dish.
W: Would you like to order cottage cheese, french fries, a salad, or ...
M: ...

All of us actually ordered our meals in Unix style, but all too often we
heard folks ordering in Mac style.

-r