The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Typesetting Mathematics by Kernighan and Cherry, retypeset
@ 2022-07-02 19:45 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2022-07-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Warner Losh:

  Alcatel-Lucent gave an official grant to V8, V9 and V10. See
  https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Dan_Cross_v8/statement_regarding_Unix_3-7-17.pdf

====

Quite so.  I believe this was announced on a mailing list called TUHS.
Those here who are interested in such things might want to subscribe;
I have and find it quite useful and interesting, with occasional
disappointment.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(typing this on a train in Texas)

* [TUHS] Re: Typesetting Mathematics by Kernighan and Cherry, retypeset
@ 2022-07-02 19:09     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2022-07-02 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> https://9p.io/plan9/about.html has details on plan9, but the latest
> versions are available under the MIT license.

All former and current Plan 9 releases are available
under the MIT license, since March 2021.

http://p9f.org/dl/index.html

https://github.com/plan9foundation/plan9

--
David du Colombier

* [TUHS] Re: Typesetting Mathematics by Kernighan and Cherry, retypeset
@ 2022-07-02 17:15   ` G. Branden Robinson
From: G. Branden Robinson @ 2022-07-02 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society; +Cc: groff

(For those on the TUHS list wondering about context, here it is.  I
"ported" the document in the Subject line to groff and re-typeset it,
discovering some spacing nits in groff and, apparently, a bug in AT&T
troff as well--one equation[1] in the sources not appearing in published
versions has risen from the grave when rendered with groff.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2022-07/msg00002.html )

At 2022-07-02T12:51:16-0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> If V10 was formally released, then yes - I would make that argument
> and feel free to say it to the judge.
>
> That said, did Caldera (and/or Nokia) officially release it or are
> they just 'not noticing' that it is available in the wild?
>
> I was under the impression that the only thing official is through V7.
> But all the other versions have 'leaked' and are widely available, and
> whoever owns that IP at this point, is not pursuing protection.   I am
> aware that Caldera ended up with rights of 'UNIX' - certainly through
> SVR5 -- and they released V1-V7 and 32V under their license (pointed
> too in the earlier message).  However, I am ownsnot aware of who
> formally owns V8-V10 (I would assume Caldera also but that IP might
> have stayed with Lucent then Nokia as part of that BTL IP transfer].
> Also, did Nokia 'formally' release Plan9 or Inferno -- is there a
> document like the Caldera one?

I believe even early releases of Plan 9 and Infero are both now fully
liberated, though the former[2] took much longer than the latter[3].

I'd offer my thanks to anyone who is keeping the Plan 9 and Inferno
flames lit.

Regards,
Branden

[1] the last one in section 8, "e sup {i pi sup {rho +1}}"
[2] https://marc.info/?l=9fans&m=161650489113326
[3] https://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/licence.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [TUHS] Re: Typesetting Mathematics by Kernighan and Cherry, retypeset
@ 2022-07-02 16:59   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2022-07-02 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: Douglas McIlroy, TUHS main list

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 10:52 AM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> If V10 was formally released, then yes - I would make that argument and
> feel free to say it to the judge.
>
> That said, did Caldera (and/or Nokia) officially release it or are they
> just 'not noticing' that it is available in the wild?

Alcatel-Lucent gave an official grant to V8, V9 and V10. See
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Dan_Cross_v8/statement_regarding_Unix_3-7-17.pdf
which reads:

Statement Regarding Research Unix Editions 8, 9, and 10 Alcatel-Lucent USA
Inc. (“ALU-USA”), on behalf of itself and Nokia Bell Laboratories agrees,
to the extent of its ability to do so, that it will not assert its
copyright rights with respect to any non-commercial copying, distribution,
performance, display or creation of derivative works of Research Unix®
Editions 8, 9, and 10. The foregoing does not (i) transfer ownership of, or
relinquish any, intellectual property rights (including patent rights) of
Nokia Corporation, ALU-USA or any of their affiliates, (ii) grant a license
to any patent, patent application, or trademark of Nokia Corporation,
ALU-USA. or any of their affiliates, (iii) grant any third-party rights or
licenses, or (iv) grant any rights for commercial purposes. Neither
ALU-USA. nor Nokia Bell Laboratories will furnish or provided support for
Research Unix Editions 8, 9, and 10, and make no warranties or
representations hereunder, including but not limited to any warranty or
representation that Research Unix Editions 8, 9, and 10 does not infringe
any third party intellectual property rights or that Research Unix Editions
8, 9, and 10 is fit for any particular purpose.

So not exactly the sweeping "We own this and you can do whatever w/o
restriction" license one would like, but still much better than "in the
wild and unchallenged"...

> I was under the impression that the only thing official is through V7.
> But all the other versions have 'leaked' and are widely available, and
> whoever owns that IP at this point, is not pursuing protection.   I am
> aware that Caldera ended up with rights of 'UNIX' - certainly through SVR5
> -- and they released V1-V7 and 32V under their license (pointed too in the
> earlier message).  However, I am ownsnot aware of who formally owns V8-V10
> (I would assume Caldera also but that IP might have stayed with Lucent then
> Nokia as part of that BTL IP transfer].  Also, did Nokia 'formally' release
> Plan9 or Inferno -- is there a document like the Caldera one?
> ᐧ

Caldera did those about 10 years prior to V8-V10 being available.

https://9p.io/plan9/about.html has details on plan9, but the latest
versions are available under the MIT license.

Warner

@ 2022-07-02 16:51 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-07-02 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list