The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-10 15:34 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2020-04-10 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Warren has been nice enough to put 8th, 9th and 10th edition on the TUHS “Unix Tree” web page.

There is the following question on each entry web page: “Who wants to write something here?”

Below my suggested draft text for Eight Edition. All suggestions for improvement welcome.

===

Shortly after the release of 7th Edition, the VAX became the base machine for further Unix development. The initial code base was the 32V port, enhanced with selected elements from 4.1BSD, such as support for virtual memory and later the TCP/IP stack. From there the code further evolved: Eighth Edition of Unix was released by Bell Laboratories in February 1985, six years after Seventh Edition.

Key innovations in 8th Edition include ‘streams’ and the 'file system switch’, which allowed the “everything is a file” approach to be extended to new areas. Three notable applications built on these were the ‘/proc’ file system and new debugger API, a unified approach to networking over Datakit, TCP/IP and phone lines, and a network file system.

Eighth Edition is also at the root of graphical user interfaces on Unix, being the platform used for the development of the ‘Blit’ graphical terminal.

Several of the new ideas from Eigth Edition found their way into the 3rd release of System V, although in a much modified way.

===

* Re: [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-10 20:50 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-04-10 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ruizendaal; +Cc: TUHS main list

It wasn't that "shortly", it was several years. Maybe just drop the
adverb, or put in actual dates. Otherwise this seems OK (except for a
typo in "Eigth".)

-rob

@ 2020-04-12  8:51   ` Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2020-04-12  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Below an update with comments reflected.

===

After the Seventh Edition, the VAX became the base machine for further Unix development. The initial code base was the 32V port, enhanced with selected elements from 4.1BSD, such as support for virtual memory and later the TCP/IP stack. From there the code further evolved and an Eighth Edition manual was completed by Bell Laboratories in February 1985, six years after 7th Edition. The 8th Edition source code was not as widely distributed as the 6th and 7th Edition sources had been.

The file system in 8th Edition was rewritten to work with a bitmapped free list and allocation clusters of 4KB (8 blocks); it also supported the V7 filesystem for backwards compatibility with disk clusters of 1, 2 or 4 blocks.

Key innovations in the 8th Edition kernel include ‘streams’ and the 'file system switch’, which allowed the “everything is a file” approach to be extended to new areas. Three notable developments built on these were the ‘/proc’ file system and new debugger API, a unified approach to networking over Datakit, TCP/IP and phone lines, and a network file system.

Eighth Edition is also at the root of graphical user interfaces on Unix, being the platform used for the development of the ‘Blit’ graphical terminal.

Several of the new ideas from Eighth Edition found their way into the 3rd release of System V, although in a much modified form.

===

@ 2020-04-12 10:00 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-04-12 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ruizendaal; +Cc: TUHS main list

My favorite use of the file system switch was the "face server"
(analogous to name server), documented in a paper by myself and Dave
Presotto at the Portland USENIX in 1985.
http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/face_the_nation/

We believe this was the first networked delivery of facial images to
indicate the sender of an arriving mail message. The associated vismon
program was also of interest in what it showed, and how small the code
was given the uniform system interface to resources.

-rob

@ 2020-04-12  9:30 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2020-04-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2020-04-12  9:26 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2020-04-12  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2020-04-11 18:52 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2020-04-11 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, norman

norman@oclsc.org (Norman Wilson) wrote:

> The kernel was a clean break, however: 4.1xBSD for some
> value of x (probably 4.1a but I don't remember which)
> with Research changes.  By the time of V8, that means:
> -- Berkeley FFS replaced by Weinberger's bitmapped
> file system:

As far as I understand it, the Berkeley FFS didn't appear
until much closer to 4.2; it was definitely not in 4.1 and
was likely not in 4.1a.

Which would explain why V8 would have still had the 14 character
filename limit.

> essentially the V7 file system except
> the free list was a bitmap and the blocksize was 4KiB.

ISTR that System V picked this up at some point also, although I don't
recall if the bigger block size was 1K or 4K.  I may be misremembering
though.

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-11 18:49 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2020-04-11 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, norman

norman@oclsc.org (Norman Wilson) wrote:

> There was no general release of V8 like those for earlier
> Research systems, but there was a quasi-official V8 tape
> sent to a handful of universities under a special letter
> agreement.  I remember working on that with Dennis,
> checking that everything compiled and worked properly
> in a chroot environment before the tape was written.
> I think that happened in the summer of 1985.

Sounds about right. Circa late '86 or early '87, IIRC correctly, DMR spoke
at Georgia Tech, and Gene Spafford, who was still there arranged to
get a copy of the V8 tape.

I got a friend who worked there to send me the man page sources
and printed a copy for myself. :-)  I later got an official (but used)
copy via BWK.

(I also arranged to buy a V9 manual in the early 90s.)

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-11 15:44 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2020-04-11 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:38:44AM -0400, Norman Wilson wrote:
> -- Stream I/O system added; all communication-device
> drivers (serial ports, Ethernet, Datakit) changed to
> work with streams.  Pipes were streams.

How was performance?  Was this Dennis' streams, not Sys V STREAMS?

I ported Lachmans/Convergents STREAMS based TCP/IP stack to the
ETA 10 Unix and SCO Unix and performance just sucked.  Ditto for
the Solaris port (which I did not do, I don't think it made any
difference who did the port though).

* [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-11 15:38 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2020-04-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Minor corrections to the material in Paul's text.
This is meant to be a laundry-list of facts, not a
suggested set of words; I'm feeling too prolix this
morning to produce the latter, and figure those on the
list may be interested in the petty details anyway.

The initial user-mode environment was a mix of 32V,
subsequent work within 1127, and imports from 4.1BSD.
I don't know the exact heritage: whether it was 1127's
work with 4.1BSD stuff added or vice-versa.

The kernel was a clean break, however: 4.1xBSD for some
value of x (probably 4.1a but I don't remember which)
with Research changes.  By the time of V8, that means:
-- All trace of BSD's original network interfaces removed,
except that select(2) remained in a slightly-different
form.
-- Stream I/O system added; all communication-device
drivers (serial ports, Ethernet, Datakit) changed to
work with streams.  Pipes were streams.
-- File system switch added, supporting Killian's /proc
and Weinberger's first-generation (neta) network file
system.
-- Berkeley FFS replaced by Weinberger's bitmapped
file system: essentially the V7 file system except
the free list was a bitmap and the blocksize was 4KiB.
Hacky implementation, depending on a flag bit in the
minor device number; didn't use the file system switch.
Old 512-byte-block file systems had to be supported
partly to ease the changeover, partly because the first
version had a limited bitmap size so file systems larger
than about 120MiB wouldn't work.  This limit was removed
later.  (In retrospect I'm surprised I didn't then insist
on converting any remaining old-format file systems in
our domain and then removing the old-format code from
the kernel, since user-mode tools--including a user-mode
file server!--could be used to access any old disks
discovered later.)

For the purposes of Paul's note it probably suffices
just to say that there was a restart with a 4.1-series
kernel with changes as he describes, except also the
new file system format.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-11 15:24 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2020-04-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Doug McIlroy:

  The v8 manual was printed in 1985, but the system was
  not "released" in the ordinary sense until a couple of
  years ago. Some v8 features made it out into the world
  via USG; some were described in open literature or
  Usenix presentations, but I believe none were formally
  shipped out of the company.

I'm surprised; I thought copies of the V8 manual existed
when I arrived at the Labs in mid-1984, but the date on
the title page is indeed February 1985.

There was no general release of V8 like those for earlier
Research systems, but there was a quasi-official V8 tape
sent to a handful of universities under a special letter
agreement.  I remember working on that with Dennis,
checking that everything compiled and worked properly
in a chroot environment before the tape was written.
I think that happened in the summer of 1985.

I don't remember our doing that work, to make a single
coherent consistency-checked release tape, for any
subsequent system; just one-off caveat-emptor snapshots.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"
@ 2020-04-11 14:47 Doug McIlroy