The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?
@ 2003-11-11 13:18 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2003-11-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ow, c'mon.  In *australia*, how hard can it be to find or make
space for that priceless collection?  Geez!

Given the nearly-complete collection of DEC systems, HP-Oz should
be deeply ashamed if they don't pitch in, along with other vendors
and local support techs.

We can't expect all companies to maintain a collection that reflects
their history (for tech-practical reasons alone), but we *should* be
able to expect them to help others who do it "for" them...

@ 2003-11-12  1:58 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2003-11-12  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Fred N. van Kempen wrote:

> Ow, c'mon.  In *australia*, how hard can it be to find or make
> space for that priceless collection?  Geez!

We're slowly moving over to a "user pays" system, I'm afraid.

-- Dave

* [pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?
@ 2003-11-12 20:49 ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2003-11-12 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-Nov-11 14:18:24 +0100, "Fred N. van Kempen" <Fred.van.Kempen at microwalt.nl> wrote:
>Ow, c'mon.  In *australia*, how hard can it be to find or make
>space for that priceless collection?  Geez!

Wide open spaces aren't necessarily ideal for storing historical
computers.  You need to store them in a controlled environment to
preserve them and this costs money.

And Australian governments don't seem to place a great value on
history:  Australia is one of the pioneering space nations.  We were
one of the first countries to launch our own satellite.  The launching
sites are recognized as part of Australia's heritage by organisation
such as the Institute of Engineers, Australia.  Our Armed Forces (with
the support of our Federal Government) uses those same launching sites
for target practice.

As far as private companies - it mostly comes down to the beancounters
demanding to know how spending money on preserving obsolete equipment
will help the bottom line.  The Corporate headquarters also generally
see outpost subsidiaries solely in terms on how much cash flows into
the corporate coffers.

On the positive side, Australia has managed to preserve the last
first generation computer extant anywhere (CSIRAC, built in the late
1940's).

Peter

* [pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?
@ 2003-11-12 23:06   ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2003-11-12 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On the positive side, Australia has managed to preserve the last
> first generation computer extant anywhere (CSIRAC, built in the late
> 1940's).

Not to demean that effort, but don't the Germans have a Z4 still working
in a museum? That would mean something like 1942.

	Johnny

                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books

* [pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?
@ 2003-11-13  8:43     ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-11-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003.11.13 00:06 Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Not to demean that effort, but don't the Germans have a Z4 still
> working in a museum? That would mean something like 1942.
1942 would be the Z3, the first computer ever. The Z3 that is in the
Deutsches Museum is AFAIK a rebuild of the original one. (Rebuild under
the supervision of Konrad Zuse himself.) I don't know if the Z4 is still
around. Google for "Konrad Zuse" and / or his son "Horst Zuse". Horst
Zuse has put much effort in documenting the work of his father.

I know that there is a Zuse Z23 in Karlsruhe. It was build in 1956,
based on electron tubes, core and drum memory and it is still fully
functional!
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?
@ 2003-11-14 10:27       ` robinb
From: robinb @ 2003-11-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> On 2003.11.13 00:06 Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Not to demean that effort, but don't the Germans have a Z4 still
> > working in a museum? That would mean something like 1942.
> 1942 would be the Z3, the first computer ever. The Z3 that is in the
> Deutsches Museum is AFAIK a rebuild of the original one. (Rebuild under
> the supervision of Konrad Zuse himself.) I don't know if the Z4 is still
> around. Google for "Konrad Zuse" and / or his son "Horst Zuse". Horst
> Zuse has put much effort in documenting the work of his father.
>
> I know that there is a Zuse Z23 in Karlsruhe. It was build in 1956,
> based on electron tubes, core and drum memory and it is still fully
> functional!
> --
I searched and found, very very interesting.  Zuse's statement that the Colossus team and himself had been going down similar paths sounds very much like Leibnitz and Newton over Calculus :-)

About 10 years ago I went into the National Air and Space museum in Washington and they had a wind from a Henschel guided missile from World War 2.  They stated that it was built using some of the first computer controlled plant and I always wondered what it was, well now I know.

Again, this is very interesting and I am astounded that it isn't widely known or advertised.

Robin

* [pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?
@ 2003-11-14 14:58         ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-11-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Robin, are you thinking of the V-1 platform? Because that one was
pretty capable for a primitive cruise missile weapons platform. That's
the only one I can think of that fits your description, after all I
did visit the museum a longish time ago, as well.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

@ 2003-11-14 15:44           ` robinb
From: robinb @ 2003-11-14 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> Robin, are you thinking of the V-1 platform? Because that one was
> pretty capable for a primitive cruise missile weapons platform. That's
> the only one I can think of that fits your description, after all I
> did visit the museum a longish time ago, as well.
No,
On the first floor there used to be (could still be there but it was a while ago) a room concerning computing.  In there was a wing, with the skin removed to show the structure, of a Henschel anti-ship missile.  These were dropped by bombers and then guided in by radio.  This was labeled up AFAIR as being manufactured by a primitive CNC system.  Looking at the various web pages from Zuse's writings he produced a measurement system for these so that they could be produced using low tech machining.

Robin