The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] awkcc available again!
@ 2022-01-09 19:27 Arnold Robbins
From: Arnold Robbins @ 2022-01-09 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello All.

I am pleased to announce that, after a multi-year effort, Chris Ramming's
awkcc is now once again available for download, and this time with
a more permissive license.

I would like to thank Brian Kernighan, Chris Ramming and Doug McIlroy
for contributing letters of support to my efforts to get this program
re-released.

The lion's share of the thanks must go to Martin Carroll of Nokia
Bell Labs, who fought the uphill battle within Bell Labs to get permission
to release the code, and who uploaded it to GitHub.

Me? I pushed here and there, and contributed the actual code snapshots;
it seems that Bell Labs had misplaced the code in the meantime. :-)

The code, both the 1988 and 2011 versions, may be found at
https://github.com/nokia/awkcc.

The code is primarily of historical interest; I think it would take
a significant effort to build it on a more modern system, although I
think it could be done. It'd also be an effort to bring it up to date
with the current Unix version of awk. Again most likely doable, but not
necessarily trivial.

In any case, enjoy!

Arnold

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-01-09 19:42 UTC | newest]