Beware of confusion. There is the 8th and 9th edition remote file protocol (I have papers somewhere I think), by Weinberger. This evolved into 9p, Plan9’s file protocol. There is also RFS, I think a USG package for SYSVr3. The paper I have About this is by Author L Sabsevitz, though I don’t know if he was the author of the code, or just the paper. They are rather different beasts with similar names. -Steve > On 10 Jan 2017, at 21:43, Larry McVoy wrote: > > On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:40:03PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote: >> The nice idea in RFS was that it supported remote devices, but the iotcl >> handling was a problem in AT&T UNIX before SVr4 ??? added a flag to tell >> whether the data source was in kernel or userland. I am not sure wether RFS >> had a concept like XDR for ioctls. > > I believe it did not. > >> The funny thing: RFS was supported in SunOS4, but not in SunOS-5. > > And Howard Chartok was ecstatic over that decision (he was my office > mate and did the port into SunOS 4.x. Not one of his favorite projects.)