The term I heard to describe Unix USL was “Turkey Farm”. And there was something about “Stewing in their own juices for too long”. Sounds delicious! -Don > On 1 Oct 2017, at 23:21, Jon Steinhart wrote: > > Steve Mynott writes: >> On 1 October 2017 at 18:51, Noel Chiappa wrote: >> >>> Why was Solaris so much worse than SunOS? >> >> Probably because it was so much more buggy on release and people were >> more used to BSD and didn't like change and the fact that greedy Sun >> had removed the compiler. Solaris 2.3 had core dumps from base >> binaries everywhere where SunOS 4.1.3 seemed quite stable. > > I think that the root cause is AT&T USL. When UNIX went from research > to "product" different people worked on it. And those people seemed to > lack the artistry, vision, and craftsmanship of the original developers. > AT&T pushed their SVR4 crud hard onto the rest of the world. Meanwhile, > the folks at Berkeley produced code more in the original tradition > possibly because of Ken taking a sabbatical year to teach there. SunOS > was the result of the pipeline between Berkeley and Sun. > > Solaris was the result of Sun abandoning the Berkeley branch for the USL > branch.