I wrote a plotter driver for the CDC in Pascal. Brian’s comments were apt: drivers aren’t quite the same as a filter, even a Knuthian-style program. I thought the world would end up using some post-Pascal, strongly typed language. Maybe Oberon or Modula would fix things. (I don’t think any of a decade’s worth of Pascal programs I wrote ever had a buffer overflow vulnerability.) I look to the likes of go and rust to get us back on track. C is a pretty good assembly language. > On 31Aug 2017, at 3:47 PM, Toby Thain wrote: > > > Professor Knuth seemed to manage OK, writing TeX and METAFONT in Pascal > (using his literate programming toolset, but that did not extend the > language much). > > I suppose Apple's Pascal and Object Pascal -- used for Lisa and > Macintosh applications and systems software -- comes under the "so > people fixed it" category? > > --Toby -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: