The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] G R Emlin
@ 2020-07-20 13:42 Doug McIlroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-07-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Coming upon this dedication in  W.B. Yeats's book, "Irish Folk
stories and Fairy Tales", I felt a frisson of connection: "Inscribed
to my mystical friend, G. R." Mystically present in the Unix room
and on the 1127 org chart, G. R. Emlin took a place in our little
community akin to that of fairies in Irish peasant culture. First
encountered by Fred Grampp, G. R. manifested to others in various
guises, ranging from Grace Emlin, whom I remember as a security guru,
to a Labs-badged apparition now housed in the corporate archives
(www.peteradamsphoto.com/unix-folklore/). My most memorable personal
encounter was when I received from G. R. a receipt for paint for the
water-tower project (spinrooot.com/pico/pjw.html) as part of a request
for reimbursement. I passed the voucher up the chain of command to
our executive director, Vic Vyssotsky. Unfortunately for G. R., Vic,
despite his masterful ability to bypass bureaucratic obstacles,
declared he wasn't authorized to approve plant improvements.

Doug