The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Bell Office Automation System (OAS)?
@ 2022-12-08 20:24 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2022-12-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Good day all, this may be COFF instead, but I'm not joined over there yet, might need some Warren help/approval.

In any case, received that 3B20S 4.1 manual in good shape, unpacked it, and out fell a little tri-fold titled "The Office Automation System (OAS) Editor-Formatter (ef) Reference Card" emblazoned with the usual Bell Laboratories, non-disclosure note abut the Bell System, and a nice little picture of a terminal I can't identify as well as the full manual for this OAS leaning against it: "The Office Automation System (OAS)" with a nice big Bell logo at the bottom of the spine.

The latter is likely a manual I spotted in a video once and couldn't make out the name/title at the time, thought I was seeing another long-lost UNIX manual.  I've never heard of this before, and Google isn't turning up much as Office Automation System appears to be a general industry term.

I seem to recall hearing about ef itself once or twice, some sort of pre-vi screen editor from Bell methinks?  Not super familiar with it though, I just seem to recall reading about that before somewhere.

Anywho, dealing with a move in the near future that is hopefully into a home I own, so pretty distracted from that scanning I keep talking about, but hopefully when I'm settled in in a few months I can setup a proper scan bench in my new place and really go to town on things.

- Matt G.

* [TUHS] Re: Bell Office Automation System (OAS)?
@ 2022-12-08 21:03 ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2022-12-08 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

when it matters, i was a part of the OAS team. i was technical lead, cathie brooks was our supervisor,
and i can’t really remember the other folks. i wrote ef. it was not my proudest programming achievement.
but denis ritchie helped me out by being a test user.

	andrew

@ 2022-12-11 17:40   ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2022-12-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi andrew,

> i wrote ef.

Was its name from ed → ee → ef or something else?

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* [TUHS] Re: Bell Office Automation System (OAS)?
@ 2022-12-12  6:38     ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2022-12-12  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy; +Cc: tuhs

regrettably, i do not recall this.
as far as i could guess,i simply went with a short name
and most likely e stood for editor.

@ 2022-12-12 16:10       ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2022-12-12 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Hume; +Cc: tuhs

The quadfold itself lists "Editor-Formatter" as the expansion.

- Matt G.