hi there! hi pete! > If I were to be really picky, I'd > say you meant microPDP-11/23. 11/23-plus > would mean a BA11-S enclosure with > a different type of backplane :-) mine is about 40 inch high, 19 inch wide and as deep as the rl02 is. the "microcomputer interfaces 1983-84" shows some pictures of boxes: is might be the BA11-S > > The backplane itself has a > model number; for a BA23 it should > be H9728-A. > on the backplane i found H9276-A. i don´t know what -A means, but it should be a Q22/CD so no serpentine? > > > I'm guessing you have a single > memory board, probably an MSV11-Q (M7551), > and an RLV12 (M8061, one quad > board) rather than an RLV11 (two > quad boards) > -- if not, that makes a difference > to the layout. I'm also guessing at a > DEQNA (M7504) rather than any > other Ethernet controller, but it makes no > difference to the placement, so > long as it's a dual-height board. > now i´ve got the numbers here: CPU: M8190-AE KDJ11-B MEM: M7551-CC MSVC11-QC RL02: M8061 DELQA: M7516 RQDX3: M7555 DEQNA: M7546 > There were some differences about whether > an FPU could be fitted (due to an > error on the original boards); those that > would not take an FPU were only > sold as KDJ11-BC and all had 15MHz clocks. > Others with 15MHz clocks were > sold as KDJ11-BB (upgradeable but FPU not > fitted). There are also some with > 18MHz clocks, these were sold as > KDJ11-BE, -BF, or higher. > Normally an 11/83 has a KDJ11-BE or higher > suffix. Early 11/73 are 15MHz. > Just to add to the confusion, the -Bx > suffix actually refers to the > EPROMs on the board, not the clock speed or > the FPU. The *only* difference > between a normal KDJ11-BE or -BF or -BH is > the firmware in the EPROMs. hmmm, this is really confusing, since i have AE can it take an FPU? maybe it has a fpu? what does the fpu look like? > > However, the biggest difference > between 11/83 and 11/73 is whether the > memory is used as QBus memory, or > PMI memory, which is faster. All of the > KDJ11-B boards can use PMI memory. > Beware, not all quad memory boards are > PMI-capable, but all the 1MB and > bigger ones that I can think of are. so i should put in first memory then cpu. > > > do all 11/83 use PMI ? > > Yes. They will work with QBus > memory instead (and if you put a PMI board > after the processor instead of > before it, it will run as normal QBus > memory) > but then what you have is > effectively an 11/73, not an 11/83. > > > Literally "hanging"? Not fixed to > the front of the BA23? Is this actually > a floor-standing (or possibly > rack-mounting) BA23 with space for > a TK50 and > a drive unit, or a rackmount > BA11-S or BA11-N chassis with no space for > drives? well it´s a BA11-S i suppose by now. the panel and the pcb wich connects to the two disks were literally "hanging" when i got the box, it was a pdp-cabinet and a second 19inch rack, containig old, unused stuff and the tk50 and those 2 disks there is a separate power supply for the disks now the tk50 and the disks are on a separate table > > Neither have I. DEC used > pushbuttons for the disk controls > on microPDP-11 > panels. Each section is separate, > though; it sounds like someone has > replaced the pushbuttons or used > third-party sub-panels. The round hole > (if this is an original DEC panel) it´s a original dec panel and dec pcb. > is for the badge that says whether it's > a microPDP-11/23, microPDP-11/73, > microPDP-11/83, microPDP-11/53, etc. The > rectangular hole is for the power > switch in a BA23 or BA123 cabinet. i suppose they changed CPU and memory from the pdp11/23plus and put in half a 11/83. the 3 switches at the frontbezel of the BA11 work, the other "front"panel at the back (from a 11/83) is only used to put the disks online and write protect them. this would also explain why there is a connector "hanging" at the rear-frontpanel. a weird pdp. --lothar