The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Re: History of 32-bit UNIX (was History of 2 BSD)
@ 2003-11-11  3:50 Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2003-11-11  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Lehey wrote,

 > > Others ported the system in those carefree days as well, in
 > > particular Richard Miller at the University of Wollongong, but I
 > > don't know much about the other efforts.

 > I believe the Wollongong port predated the one at Bell Labs.  Peter
 > Gray tells me he still has the original machine they used, and he'd
 > like to find a museum-like place to keep it.  No idea whether it
 > runs.  Greg Rose should know a lot more about this matter.  Greg, are
 > you out there?

Having the original Wollongong Interdata 7/32 might
be interesting to the Computer History museum, though
it might be expensive to transport it across the Pacific.

As for dates: the Wollongong port was essentially
contemporaneous with ours, certainly independent,
and was declared in production sooner (July 1977
vs. spring 1978).  Ours was "in principle"  done by Aug.
1977, theirs by April '77.  Various papers are
gathered at

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/portpapers.html

Greg Rose is definitely still extant.

	Dennis

* [pups] Re: History of 32-bit UNIX (was History of 2 BSD)
@ 2003-11-11  4:01 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2003-11-11  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Dennis Ritchie wrote:

>  > I believe the Wollongong port predated the one at Bell Labs.  Peter
>  > Gray tells me he still has the original machine they used, and he'd
>  > like to find a museum-like place to keep it.  No idea whether it
>  > runs.  Greg Rose should know a lot more about this matter.  Greg, are
>  > you out there?
>
> Having the original Wollongong Interdata 7/32 might
> be interesting to the Computer History museum, though
> it might be expensive to transport it across the Pacific.

Perhaps this would be a better home for it:

http://www.terrigal.net.au/~acms/museum.htm

> As for dates: the Wollongong port was essentially
> contemporaneous with ours, certainly independent, [...]

I recall that they were aware of the 8/32 work, but couldn't use it,
because of the different architectures.

> Greg Rose is definitely still extant.

And I'll probably be seeing him on Friday (assuming he's in the country).

-- Dave

* [pups] Re: History of 32-bit UNIX (was History of 2 BSD)
@ 2003-11-11 13:08   ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2003-11-11 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/11/2003, at 3:01 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
>
>>> I believe the Wollongong port predated the one at Bell Labs.  Peter
>>> Gray tells me he still has the original machine they used, and he'd
>>> like to find a museum-like place to keep it.  No idea whether it
>>> runs.  Greg Rose should know a lot more about this matter.  Greg, are
>>> you out there?
>>
>> Having the original Wollongong Interdata 7/32 might
>> be interesting to the Computer History museum, though
>> it might be expensive to transport it across the Pacific.
>
> Perhaps this would be a better home for it:
>
> http://www.terrigal.net.au/~acms/museum.htm

It would not be a safe home until they have solved their eviction
problem (now due for mid-Dec 2003):
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/19/1053196515142.html
and http://www.terrigal.net.au/~acms/

Given the significance of the machine in question, IMHO it would be
safer in care of private individuals until an Australian computer
museum is funded -
http://www.terrigal.net.au/~acms/
ACMS%20Prospectus%20rec%20on%2005Feb2003.htm

Toby

* [pups] Re: History of 32-bit UNIX (was History of 2 BSD)
@ 2003-11-17  5:19   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2003-11-17  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I believe the Wollongong port predated the one at Bell Labs.  Peter
> Gray tells me he still has the original machine they used, and he'd
> like to find a museum-like place to keep it.  No idea whether it
> runs.  Greg Rose should know a lot more about this matter.  Greg, are
> you out there?

Greg is not on this list, but I did catch up with him; he has no further
knowledge of this.

-- Dave