The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] if you're looking for a different way to volunteer...
@ 2008-05-10  3:21 Doug Merritt
From: Doug Merritt @ 2008-05-10  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

if you want to contribute, but don't have e.g. arcane knowledge of
PDP 11 assembly and such -- then let me suggest that it would be
interesting to find out more about these people listed in the 1973
"Study of Unix" documents (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bellLabs/unix/)
that formed the basis of this reconstruction effort.

For starters, who was this "T. R. Bashkow" who called the
meeting? Some googling last week indicates to me that he has
an engineering award named after him, and that he does
not have a wikipedia entry.

B. A. Tague's name is prominent too, although I personally
do not recognize it. And similarly for the other memo
addressees.

Consider that any of these people might just happen to still
have source code listings, magnetic/DEC-tapes, paper tape, or even just
historical anecdotes to share, but perhaps no one ever asked
them.

Or their heirs, for any who have passed on.

In any case, it's getting kind of late in history; this may
be the last chance to track down even information about these
people who participated in this historic meeting, let alone
find them and ask them about ancient media.

P.S. The above thoughts apply to all other historic systems, of course,
not just those Unix-related.

I managed to find a RESISTORS-related historic document last week,
for instance. (Princeton-area early hobbyist computer group.)
	Doug Merritt
--
Professional Wild-eyed Visionary        Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow

* [Unix-jun72] if you're looking for a different way to volunteer...
@ 2008-05-11  9:42 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-11  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:21:27PM -0700, Doug Merritt wrote:
> if you want to contribute, but don't have e.g. arcane knowledge of
> PDP 11 assembly and such -- then let me suggest that it would be
> interesting to find out more about these people listed in the 1973
> "Study of Unix" documents (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bellLabs/unix/)
> that formed the basis of this reconstruction effort.

Good idea.

> For starters, who was this "T. R. Bashkow" who called the
> meeting? Some googling last week indicates to me that he has
> an engineering award named after him, and that he does
> not have a wikipedia entry.

Ted Bashkow. That's all I've found too. We should ask Dennis.

> B. A. Tague's name is prominent too, although I personally
> do not recognize it. And similarly for the other memo
> addressees.

Berkeley Tague: I think one of the managers at Bell Labs. I should know
more, but a Google find this quickly:
http://www.ais.org/~jrh/acn/text/ACN6-1.txt, and there's more out there.

> Consider that any of these people might just happen to still
> have source code listings, magnetic/DEC-tapes, paper tape, or even just
> historical anecdotes to share, but perhaps no one ever asked
> them.

I've asked as many as I could find. An early AUUG or Usenix newsletter
mentioned that Jim McKie has won a 2nd Edition DECtape at a conference
"trivia night": I e-mailed him, and to cut a long story short, it is
probably the s1/s2 tapes that Dennis found. Kirk McKusick and Keith Bostic
found a DEC tape reader, connected it up to a VAX, and read the s1/s2 tapes
for Dennis.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] if you're looking for a different way to volunteer...
@ 2008-05-11 18:55 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For starters, who was this "T. R. Bashkow" who called the
> meeting? Some googling last week indicates to me that he has
> an engineering award named after him, and that he does
> not have a wikipedia entry.

I did a little googling earlier this weekend and I couldn't find
much.  T.R. Bashkow is "Theodore", he was at Columbia (emeritus
there).  For J. DeFelice I could find nothing.  There are lots of
hits for DeFelice in general, and a few academic papers in biology
for a J. DeFelice but I couldn't find much computer science or
bell labs related.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/