The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Ancient SunOS source
       [not found] <m31zlccgf1.fsf@trantor.cosmic.com>
@ 1999-01-03 21:48 ` Erin W. Corliss
From: Erin W. Corliss @ 1999-01-03 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Jan 1999, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> Last month, there was some discussion about getting Sun to release the
> sources to old SunOS 4.1 under the Ancient UNIX source licence.  I'm
> curious as to what progress has been made on that.  I'm
> enthusiastically looking forward to hopefully being able to run
> SunOS-4.1.3 with full source on an old Sun 3/80.

Have you tried the Sun 3 port of NetBSD?

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
To: "Erin W. Corliss" <erin at coffee.corliss.net>
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Re: Ancient SunOS source
Date: 03 Jan 1999 16:52:16 -0500
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

"Erin W. Corliss" <erin at coffee.corliss.net> writes:

> On 3 Jan 1999, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
>
> > Last month, there was some discussion about getting Sun to release the
> > sources to old SunOS 4.1 under the Ancient UNIX source licence.  I'm
> > curious as to what progress has been made on that.  I'm
> > enthusiastically looking forward to hopefully being able to run
> > SunOS-4.1.3 with full source on an old Sun 3/80.
>
> Have you tried the Sun 3 port of NetBSD?

Oh, NetBSD is a very nice Berkeley UNIX, to sure...  I'm just looking
forward to being able to play around with good olde-fashioned SunOS.
Call it nostalgia, or something like that.  :)

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 14:11:30 -0800 (PST)
From: "Erin W. Corliss" <erin@coffee.corliss.net>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: ...
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of someone being able to modify
the kernel binary for Unix version 7 so that it treats a 60 megabyte RD52
drive like an array of six RL drives?

I looked at the device-specific assembly code in boot blocks for the two
drives and it seems that besides the geometry they're pretty similar...  I
assume, of course, that the binary license doesn't allow me to disassemble
or modify the kernel, tho.

I also recently solved the disk image dilemma -- I made a utility in
Visual Basic that lets you examine, import, and export files on various
disk images.  The disk-specific parts are in interchangeable ActiveX
modules -- right now I only have code for RK06 disk images with Unix 6 or
RSTS file systems, but the model is easily expandable to any
drive/filesystem combination.  I'll put it on my web site if anyone's
interested...

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:48:07 +1030
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au, Unix Heritage Society <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Re: Yet Another Apout Version
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Sunday,  3 January 1999 at 22:51:45 +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hmm,
> 	The tarball of Apout that I put up for ftp had a file missing,
> and a serious bug which caused 2.11BSD ls -l to go into an infinite loop.
> I've removed this version and placed a new version of Apout in:
>
> 	ftp://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/pub/PDP-11/Sims/Apout/
>
> Things are looking good. With a small bit of manual help, I was
> able to run make in 2.11BSD /usr/src/bin, which rebuilds all of
> the binaries in /bin.

How long did it take, on what kind of machine?

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:18:11 -0800 (PST)
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@moe.2bsd.com>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Re: ...
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Hi -

> From: "Erin W. Corliss" <erin at coffee.corliss.net>
>
> Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of someone being able to modify
> the kernel binary for Unix version 7 so that it treats a 60 megabyte RD52
> drive like an array of six RL drives?

	Not likely at all.  Completely different controllers - the only
	similarity between an RL controller and an MSCP (RQDX3 for example)
	controller lies in their both being Qbus cards and disks are attached
	to them.   The RL is about as smart as a rock - it can't even do
	spiral reads/writes (even the RK05 could do that), so there's code
	present to break transfers up into multiple pieces if cylinder and side
	boundaries are crossed.  Also the RL is a "traditional" device in
	that the driver calculates sector/track/cylinder and stuffs those
	values into registers.  With MSCP you have to build command and response
	ring buffers, fill in a packet with rather badly documented values,
	and then poke the controller to go look for its new packet.  The
	geometry calculations are done in the controller not the driver.
	The only concept of geometry that MSCP drivers have is "how many
	sectors does the drive have" (and even then that value's only used to
	pretty print something when the drive is first accessed) - somewhat
	like SCSI in that aspect.

	Then too the RD52 is 30MB (sect/trak = 18, tracks/cyl = 7, cyl = 480).
	The RD53 is ~70mb and the RD54 is ~159mb.

	It'd be easier to add an MSCP driver to V7 than it would be
	to try and do binary edits on the RL driver to support non-RL devices.
	Ick.

> I looked at the device-specific assembly code in boot blocks for the two
> drives and it seems that besides the geometry they're pretty similar...  I

	They're about as different as can be.  I think you were lulled into
	thinking they're similar by the fact that most of the bootblock is
	"boiler plate" (the filesystem search code to look for /boot).  The
	part that deals with the device is small but quite dissimilar.

	The bootblock is the least/smallest part of the problem.  All the boot-
	block does is load /boot - and that's where you need a more fullfeatured
	(but still not as full as the kernel's) driver.  Then once there's
	a standalone driver for a device in /boot then, and only then, does
	the kernel become involved (at which time a full driver is needed).

> assume, of course, that the binary license doesn't allow me to disassemble
> or modify the kernel, tho.

	The A.U. license provides full up source - no need to disassemble
	anything - that can be modified to whatever extent is desired.  That
	won't solve the problem of getting a MSCP driver into V7 unless one
	can do the development work using a simulator.

	Steven Schultz

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:47:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Billy Stivers <alyosha@vrytekai.Corp.Sun.COM>
To: erin at coffee.corliss.net, mirian at xensei.com
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

These efforts aren't dead. :) They just took vacation with me, for the
last week and a half or so.  I'll try to report some news sometime during
the following week or two, though with the mess of work that popped
up in my absence, I'm not sure whether I'd be that optimistic. :/

	--Billy

>From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian at xensei.com>
>To: "Erin W. Corliss" <erin at coffee.corliss.net>
>Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
>Subject: Re: Ancient SunOS source
>Date: 03 Jan 1999 16:52:16 -0500
>
>"Erin W. Corliss" <erin at coffee.corliss.net> writes:
>
>> On 3 Jan 1999, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
>>
>> > Last month, there was some discussion about getting Sun to release the
>> > sources to old SunOS 4.1 under the Ancient UNIX source licence.  I'm
>> > curious as to what progress has been made on that.  I'm
>> > enthusiastically looking forward to hopefully being able to run
>> > SunOS-4.1.3 with full source on an old Sun 3/80.
>>
>> Have you tried the Sun 3 port of NetBSD?
>
>Oh, NetBSD is a very nice Berkeley UNIX, to sure...  I'm just looking
>forward to being able to play around with good olde-fashioned SunOS.
>Call it nostalgia, or something like that.  :)
>
>--
>Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
>          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.
>                      Make mine extra cheese."

                -- Mahatma Gandhi

only message in thread, other threads:[~1999-01-03 21:48 UTC | newest]