The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* RX02 diskettes
@ 2000-06-09 20:17 Jason T. Miller
From: Jason T. Miller @ 2000-06-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And in those cases, you loose as well. The RX02 uses a micro-engine to
> control the drive. No chip controller can switch density in the middle
> of
> the track, so RX02 floppies will forever be in the domain of RX02 drives
> only.
Funny thing. I read 'em on my PS/2. I Am Not Making This Up. No
prefabricated single-chip floppy controller, methinks...

-jtm

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:59:09 -0400
From: Tim Shoppa <SHOPPA@trailing-edge.com>
To: PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Subject: Re: PLEASE TAKE THIS ELSEWHERE (was Re: RX50 on RQDX3 on 2.11BSD)
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> This thread has gotten *way* beyond what I (and I'll bet many others)
> read this list for.

I *think* you wrote this in reply to Steven Schultz's message, (at least
that's the impression I got from the headers indicating it was a direct
reply to his message), but that doesn't make much sense because what he
wrote about was *exactly* on target for what this list is about: Running
Unix on PDP-11's.

OK, his jabs at Solaris probably weren't exactly on topic, but let's
look at what else he discussed:

* The disklabel implementation on 2.11BSD and its roots in other Unices.

* The history of MSCP drivers in 2.11BSD and other BSD-derived Unices.

* Efficient use of DHQ and DHV async multiplexers in Unix.

* The history of sh, csh, and tcsh, some introduction to how they use
  overlays on PDP-11 Unices, and the application of split I/D techniques
  to their operation.

All of these are, IMHO, very worthy topics of discussion for a mailing
list about PDP-11 Unix, and they were all direct from the expert on the
subject(s).  What else would a subscriber to the PUPS list be looking for?

 Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa at trailing-edge.com
 Trailing Edge Technology          WWW:   http://www.trailing-edge.com/
 7328 Bradley Blvd		   Voice: 301-767-5917
 Bethesda, MD, USA 20817           Fax:   301-767-5927

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:20:51 +0200
From: Gael Queri <gqueri@mail.dotcom.fr>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Subject: Re: tcsh on 2.11BSD
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 08:13:49AM -0500, Jason T. Miller wrote:
> > I thought there was a port of an early tcsh to 2.*BSD? Maybe I have poor
> > memory. Anyway, I believe that Minix has a very tiny editline(), which
> > could be squeezed into the 2.11BSD csh to give you command-line editing.
> Yup. There's a tcsh included in 2.11BSD; thing is, I'm partial to the
> Bourne shell. Hence, a project.
And did you try to do something with pdksh? It's smaller than tcsh
and it has filename completion and support for reentrant history
(contrary to bash)

look at ftp.cs.mun.ca:/pub/pdksh/

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:23:55 -0700
From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To: Tim Shoppa <SHOPPA at trailing-edge.com>
Cc: PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 04:59:09PM -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> > This thread has gotten *way* beyond what I (and I'll bet many others)
> > read this list for.
>
> I *think* you wrote this in reply to Steven Schultz's message, (at least

Yes, I wrote it in reply to Steven's message.  Not it as not directed
directly at Steven, it is for everyone that is engaged in this hardware
discussion.

> All of these are, IMHO, very worthy topics of discussion for a mailing
> list about PDP-11 Unix, and they were all direct from the expert on the
> subject(s).  What else would a subscriber to the PUPS list be looking for?

This goes back to the UHS / PUPS discussion.  I didn't vote so before,
but maybe it is time to separate the mail for the two.  I agree that the
first posts were interesting in the historical insight that could be
gained.  But this thread has turned into a rather long hardware
discussion applicable to only a handful of people that have this
hardware.

I do not mean to be mean, but it seems moving this to some PDP-11 list (I
guess one needs to be created) would be possible.

--
-- David    (obrien at NUXI.com)

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:32:24 -0400
From: Tim Shoppa <SHOPPA@trailing-edge.com>
To: PUPS at MINNIE.CS.ADFA.OZ.AU
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

>> > This thread has gotten *way* beyond what I (and I'll bet many others)
>> > read this list for.
>>
>> I *think* you wrote this in reply to Steven Schultz's message, (at least

>Yes, I wrote it in reply to Steven's message.  Not it as not directed
>directly at Steven, it is for everyone that is engaged in this hardware
>discussion.

Actually, Steven did a *very* good job at turning a hardware-oriented
discussion to issues very much related to the history and maintainence
of Unix.

Besides, if anyone here wants to really know about RX50 interleaving,
they should go read one of CJL's posts from the Lasnerian early 90's
to alt.sys.pdp8/PDP8-LOVERS about RX50 interleave.  I swear, it was
a tome that was a good chunk of a megabyte long.

>> All of these are, IMHO, very worthy topics of discussion for a mailing
>> list about PDP-11 Unix, and they were all direct from the expert on the
>> subject(s).  What else would a subscriber to the PUPS list be looking for?

>This goes back to the UHS / PUPS discussion.  I didn't vote so before,
>but maybe it is time to separate the mail for the two.  I agree that the
>first posts were interesting in the historical insight that could be
>gained.  But this thread has turned into a rather long hardware
>discussion applicable to only a handful of people that have this
>hardware.

I view it the other way - the original posts offered little historical
insight, but the last one by Steven drew it very much back to Unix.

>I do not mean to be mean, but it seems moving this to some PDP-11 list (I
>guess one needs to be created) would be possible.

gatewayed to the Usenet newsgroup vmsnet.pdp-11.  To a large extent, though,
you can't blame members of the PUPS mailing list from occasionally straying
from "Unix in general" to the "PDP-11 in particular", because that's a good
part of what the list was originally created for (even though you might
not have joined until the The Unix Heritage Society solidified...)

If there was a more general "Unix Heritage Society" mailing list, would
platform-specific discussions be banned from that?  I probably would be
bored to tears by any such restrictions, as there would be no opportunities
to give concrete examples.

Tim.

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 11:24:48 +0930
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: "David O'Brien" <obrien at NUXI.com>
Cc: Tim Shoppa <SHOPPA at trailing-edge.com>, PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Friday,  9 June 2000 at 15:23:55 -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 04:59:09PM -0400, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>>> This thread has gotten *way* beyond what I (and I'll bet many others)
>>> read this list for.
>>
>> I *think* you wrote this in reply to Steven Schultz's message, (at least
>
> Yes, I wrote it in reply to Steven's message.  Not it as not directed
> directly at Steven, it is for everyone that is engaged in this hardware
> discussion.
>
>> All of these are, IMHO, very worthy topics of discussion for a mailing
>> list about PDP-11 Unix, and they were all direct from the expert on the
>> subject(s).  What else would a subscriber to the PUPS list be looking for?
>
> This goes back to the UHS / PUPS discussion.  I didn't vote so before,
> but maybe it is time to separate the mail for the two.  I agree that the
> first posts were interesting in the historical insight that could be
> gained.  But this thread has turned into a rather long hardware
> discussion applicable to only a handful of people that have this
> hardware.
>
> I do not mean to be mean, but it seems moving this to some PDP-11 list (I
> guess one needs to be created) would be possible.

Well, FWIW this *is* the PDP-11 list.  But I thought it was
interesting way beyond the PDP-11 aspect.  Some of these things
(write-protected labels, for example) still shape FreeBSD, for
example.

I don't think we really have enough mail to justify two lists.  Most
of us probably ditch more than 50% of their mail every day anyway; if
this doesn't interest you, why not just delete it?

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-06-09 20:17 UTC | newest]