On Wed, 17 May 2006, patv at monmouth.com wrote: > I have heard some grumblings of TOG possibly releasing CDE as open source, > but have no idea of where that stands. To be perfectly frank, it had a > lot of problems, especially in a 64-bit world. There were too many word > size assumptions, and a very good friend struggled for many, many hours > fixing those problems before it went to DEIL in India for support. It > could probably still benefit from a good �many eyes� developer review and > bug fix session in the hands of open source developers. However, IMHO, it > no longer has any advantage over KDE or Gnome, but, as I said, that is my > opinion. It's not a matter of advantage so much as it's been a de-facto standard for so long and I'd just like to work with it even if it's just a clone like Lesstif. > OSF1/Digital UNIX/Tru64 UNIX was already branded as UNIX, and it would be > fun to see what would happen to the landscape if a branded UNIX was free. > Unfortunately, too many proprietary licensed pieces of code in the HP > version, especially in System V support, for that to ever happen. Oh well, > we can all dream � Well, there is the Solaris stuff, and some of it's gone into Heirloom, which I believe is an attempt to bring together the existing open-sourced Unix code, and bring it up to date. And I think Lesstif is a good enough clone of Motif for the majority of programs, in the way that Linux is of Unix, or am I wrong? -uso.