The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] simh and 2.11BSD
@ 2006-05-24  5:46 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-05-24  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone, I'm just trying to get into PDP-11 Unix.
I have a couple older machines lying around not doing much (a SPARCstation 4
and an Ultra 1), and I've been fiddling around with the simh pdp11 and
2.11BSD on the Ultra 1. I can get the system to boot using the
211bsd.simhconfig file from the tarball here:
http://ftp.gcu-squad.org/tuhs/PDP-11/Boot_Images/2.11_on_Simh/
I can boot into what appears to be a workable system, but I'd like to have
networking and a larger hard drive. Can somebody help me out with getting
this set up? If anybody else out there has done the same thing, I'd like to
hear exactly what you did.
Thank you very much

John F.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [pups] simh and 2.11BSD
@ 2006-05-24 16:47 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2006-05-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, John Floren wrote:
[snip]
> I can boot into what appears to be a workable system, but I'd like to have
> networking and a larger hard drive. Can somebody help me out with getting
> this set up? If anybody else out there has done the same thing, I'd like to
> hear exactly what you did.
> Thank you very much

For networking, you need to:
   compile simh with networking support
   edit 211bsd.simh to
     attach to the correct network device
     use the hardware address that you want
   Inside the system, you will need to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/netstart
   to configure your hostname and networking options.
   Reboot

As for getting a bigger disk, you've got two options.  Reinstall on a
larger disk image, or just mount a larger disk image onto the file system.

To reinstall, read the directions in README.networked.211BSD and
docs/2.11bsd_setup.txt .  If you do a fresh reinstall, you will need to
recompile the kernel (as described in docs/2.11bsd_setup.txt) to get
networking support.

Or you can create a second, larger, disk image with dd, attach it, and
label, format, and mount it from within the emulator.

Best of luck,
Andru
--
Andru Luvisi

Quote Of The Moment:
  ( Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound. )

* [pups] simh and 2.11BSD
@ 2006-05-24 19:25   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-05-24 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/24/06, Andru Luvisi <luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2006, John Floren wrote:
> [snip]
> > I can boot into what appears to be a workable system, but I'd like to
> have
> > networking and a larger hard drive. Can somebody help me out with
> getting
> > this set up? If anybody else out there has done the same thing, I'd like
> > hear exactly what you did.
> > Thank you very much
>
> For networking, you need to:
>    compile simh with networking support
>    edit 211bsd.simh to
>      attach to the correct network device
>      use the hardware address that you want
>    Inside the system, you will need to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/netstart
>    to configure your hostname and networking options.
>    Reboot
>
> As for getting a bigger disk, you've got two options.  Reinstall on a
> larger disk image, or just mount a larger disk image onto the file system.
>
> To reinstall, read the directions in README.networked.211BSD and
> docs/2.11bsd_setup.txt .  If you do a fresh reinstall, you will need to
> recompile the kernel (as described in docs/2.11bsd_setup.txt) to get
> networking support.
>
> Or you can create a second, larger, disk image with dd, attach it, and
> label, format, and mount it from within the emulator.
>
> Best of luck,
> Andru
> --
> Andru Luvisi

When you say "use the hardware address you want", do you mean set it to the
host machine's MAC, or to something I make up?

John

@ 2006-05-24 19:31     ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2006-05-24 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, John Floren wrote:
[snip]
> When you say "use the hardware address you want", do you mean set it to the
> host machine's MAC, or to something I make up?
[snip]

Something you make up.

Andru
--

@ 2006-05-24 19:42       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-05-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/24/06, Andru Luvisi <luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2006, John Floren wrote:
> [snip]
> > When you say "use the hardware address you want", do you mean set it to
> the
> > host machine's MAC, or to something I make up?
> [snip]
>
> Something you make up.

<snipped>
Okay, done that, but when I try to "attach xq eth0" I get the error "Command
not allowed". This occurs even when running as root. I believe I have
correctly built libpcap and simh, but the problem remains. Suggestions?

@ 2006-05-24 20:19         ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2006-05-24 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, John Floren wrote:
[snip]
> Okay, done that, but when I try to "attach xq eth0" I get the error "Command
> not allowed". This occurs even when running as root. I believe I have
> correctly built libpcap and simh, but the problem remains. Suggestions?
[snip]

I'm not very familiar with the libpcap magic.  I suggest asking on the
simh mailing list (information at
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/help.html).

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi

Quote Of The Moment:
  Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
  mediocre minds.
                  -- Albert Einstein

  They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.
  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                  -- Carl Sagan