The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Compiling BSD2.11 w/DEQNA support
@ 1995-12-01  5:37 Danny R. Brown
From: Danny R. Brown @ 1995-12-01  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings:
  All I did was add 1 DEQNA, 3 DLV's (total 4), 1 DLV. Has anyone tried
this? The Makefile proceeds without errors until the final (massive)
link run. Then it says
                        too big for type 431
and exits code 2.
I tried playing with Makefile, deleted some modules, like the rk, which
I do not have, and moved a couple around. Same result.
Obviously I'm new at this. Any assistance appreciated.

*      A Personal Message from   *                BASILISK              *
*          Danny R. Brown        *     "Try our other fine flavors!"    *
*       ( sysyphus at crl.com )     *            (404) 392-1691            *
*        Pager:(404)397-0516     *            LYNC host mode            *

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: Serial lines and v6 ...
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 18:39:49 +0000 (GMT)

Having given up trying to work out why v6 runs on my /34a, and v5
doesn't, I've turned my mind to the problem of trying to get a second
DL11 up and running so I can use a terminal as well as my trusty
teletype.

I've set up a second DL11 on CSR address 176500, vector 300. This
device is set for 96008N1, for what it's worth, and works just fine
under RT11.

I rebuilt the v6 kernel to enable a second DL11 interface. I have no
guide to the source, so all this is based on my guesswork. Needless to
say, it doesn't work, and I'm now out of ideas:

Modified /usr/sys/dmr/kl.c, the KL/DL-11 driver source. I'm assured
that the KL11 is an ancient serial interface ...

Extract from said file ...

/* base address */
#define KLADDR 0177560 /* console */
#define KLBASE 0176500 /* kl and dl11-a */
#define DLBASE 0175610 /* dl-e */
#define NKL11 1
#define NDL11 0
#define DSRDY 02
#define RDRENB 01

I simply changed the number of KL11's from one to two:

#define NKL11 2

A further comment in the code says:

 * set up minor 0 to address KLADDR
 * set up minor 1 thru NKL11-1 to address from KLBASE
 * set up minor NKL11 on to addresss from DLBASE

What this is saying is that minor 0 will be 0177560 (my console, which
works fine), minor 1 will be 0176500 (which should be my second
DL11). The code even does what the comment says ... ;)

So I rebuild the kernel, reboot.

Now, /etc/mknod /dev/tty1 c 0 1

makes the device, and

echo Hi >/dev/tty1

gives:

/dev/tty1: cannot create

What is up? Naturally if I set up a login for that terminal by editing
/etc/ttys, the process loops and causes a great deal of disk
thrashing. Something is clearly up with the configuration of the
device drivers here ...

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to do this properly? Advice and
guidance would be much appreciated ...

On a completely different note, would someone be so kind as to give me
the source for a very small Bourne shell and accompanying utilities
(/bin/test etc...) that I could port to v6 without too much difficulty?

Thanks,

Bob.

Robert Manners                                  Osney Laboratory
rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                          Dept of Engineering Science
                                                University of Oxford
                                                01865 288762
Try: http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                  Linux - the only choice

       "Wall Street or Crack Dealer Avenue,
        the last routes left to the American Dream" - Jello Biafra

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 06:03:50 -0800 (PST)
From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus@crl.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Followup to compiling BSD2.11 w/Deqna

Uh, sorry... I rebuilt the unmodified GENERIC kernal. It also terminates
abnormally, same point, same message. I'm going to sleep for a while
and then go out and buy another Unix book.

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 20:05:36 -0800
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, sysyphus at crl.com
Subject: Re: Followup to compiling BSD2.11 w/Deqna

Hello -

> From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus at crl.com>
> Subject: Followup to compiling BSD2.11 w/Deqna
>

> Uh, sorry... I rebuilt the unmodified GENERIC kernal. It also terminates
> abnormally, same point, same message. I'm going to sleep for a while
> and then go out and buy another Unix book.

	That is strange.  The GENERIC kernel should build with no problems -
	efforts were made to keep the Make.* files in /sys/conf in sync with
	the GENERIC system.

	Alas, it sounds like I didn't keep the template Makefiles current
	enough ;-(

	I doubt there are any books out there that know anything about
	overlays - it's a a lost art from what I've seen.

	I'll follow up with a mini tutorial on how to build a kernel.  One
	note for now:  it is 99.999% certain that after configuring a
	non-GENERIC kernel you will get a size error from the linker and you
	will have to adjust the overlay layout in your kernel build directory.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com

From: wkt@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: Re: Serial lines and v6 ...
To: rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 16:15:38 +1100 (EST)
Cc: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

In atricle by Bob Manners:
> I rebuilt the v6 kernel to enable a second DL11 interface. I have no
> guide to the source, so all this is based on my guesswork. Needless to
> say, it doesn't work, and I'm now out of ideas:

Bob, check out the manual for mkconf(1), and also the documentation
about rebuilding the Unix kernel in /usr/doc/setup??. I'm sure it
mentions the DL code, so that might get you going. I'm at home & don't
have my paper copies at hand. But looking at the v7 docs, maybe you
need to put a line like

1 kl

in your config file. Don't put 2 kl, the software automatically counts
the console.

> On a completely different note, would someone be so kind as to give me
> the source for a very small Bourne shell and accompanying utilities
> (/bin/test etc...) that I could port to v6 without too much difficulty?

Yeah, v6 comes with all of these in /usr/src/cmd :-) Maybe you meant
something else?

	Warren

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 21:01:42 -0800
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, sysyphus at crl.com
Subject: Re: Compiling BSD2.11 w/DEQNA support

Greetings -

> From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus at crl.com>
>   All I did was add 1 DEQNA, 3 DLV's (total 4), 1 DLV. Has anyone tried
> this? The Makefile proceeds without errors until the final (massive)
> link run. Then it says
>                         too big for type 431
> and exits code 2.
> I tried playing with Makefile, deleted some modules, like the rk, which
> I do not have, and moved a couple around. Same result.
> Obviously I'm new at this. Any assistance appreciated.

	This is not unexpected.  In fact I was placing bets with myself
	as to when the first person would encounter the 'too big' message ;-)

	As distributed only the GENERIC kernel will (or should - apparently
	I screwed up) configure and build without errors.

	What to do when the linker complains about the size of a kernel
	is not covered in the documentation - sorry 'bout that, perhaps I'll
	take the mini-tutorial below and add it to the setup documentation
	some day.

	As a bit of background here is what goes on when a kernel is
	configured:

		cd /sys/conf
		cp GENERIC PICKLE
		vi PICKLE
		  ... turn on/off desired featuers,drivers,etc ...
		./config PICKLE

		At this point the 'config' script creates the directory
		/sys/PICKLE and populates it with various .h files describing
		what devices are present and so on.  Also copied into
		/sys/PICKLE are the various _prototype_ Makefiles: Makefile,
		Make.pdp, Make.pdpuba, etc.  Of these makefiles you are
		only concerned with "Makefile" - the others should almost
		_never_ be edited.

		cd ../PICKLE
		make

		ld: too big for type 431

	First - what does that message mean?  '431' is the magic number for
	a split I/D overlaid executable.  Kernels are *always* split I/D
	and overlaid.

	The 'too big' part of the message means that the base segment and/or
	one of the overlays is larger than allowed.  What are the limits
	on the sizes (I hear you ask)?

	Kernels are a special case of overlaid program (user mode programs
	may be overlaid too but have less restrictive size rules).  The
	BASE segment (non-overlaid portion)  may be up to 56kb (57344) bytes
	in size.  Each of the 15 (maximum) overlays (OV1 thru OV15) may be
	up to 8kb (8192) bytes.

	When 'ld' gives you a "too big" message the first thing you should
	do is:

		size unix.o

	That will produce something similar to:

text    data    bss     dec     hex
58304   7778    41206   107288  1a318   total text: 119360
        overlays: 8192,6976,7680,7616,8000,7872,7680,7040

	As we see the base segment is over 57344.  To reduce the base we
	must move one of the files from the BASE group to one of the OV groups.
	Which one?  It is not critical but a the general rule is:

		The smallest one which will solve the problem.

	It is perfectly ok to put device drivers in overlays - especially
	disk drivers which tend to move large chunks of data per interrupt
	or call.  It is desireable to keep terminal drivers in the base but
	nothing bad will happen if you need to put one (such as dh.o) into
	an overlay.

	Next, look in the Makefile at the line starting with "BASE=" and do:
	a "size " command on all the files listed in the BASE section.

	How much do we need to reduce the base?  58304 - 57344 = 960.  So,
	we need to find a .o (or more than one - it's the total of sizes
	that counts) in the BASE that is >= 960 bytes of text.

	In my kernel the overlay description looks like this:

BASE=   br.o cons.o dh.o dhu.o dhv.o dr.o dz.o hk.o ht.o init_sysent.o \
        kern_clock.o kern_descrip.o kern_mman.o kern_proc.o kern_prot.o \
	kern_subr.o kern_synch.o machdep.o ram.o kern_fork.o \
	rk.o ra.o rx.o si.o subr_rmap.o sys_inode.o sys_kern.o \
	tm.o tty.o tty_conf.o tty_subr.o tty_tb.o ufs_alloc.o \
	ufs_bio.o ufs_dsort.o ufs_fio.o ufs_inode.o ufs_namei.o \
	vm_sched.o vm_text.o xp.o quota_subr.o
OV1=    sys_generic.o ufs_syscalls.o
OV2=    kern_acct.o kern_exec.o kern_exit.o kern_resource.o
OV3=    kern_time.o sys_process.o ufs_mount.o ufs_subr.o \
	uipc_syscalls.o
OV4=    dkbad.o kern_sig.o mem.o subr_xxx.o trap.o tty_pty.o tty_tty.o
OV5=    quota_kern.o quota_ufs.o quota_sys.o ufs_bmap.o \
	sys_pipe.o
# OV6 gets the (hopefully) never used routines
OV6=    clock.o dn.o init_main.o kern_pdp.o machdep2.o subr_prf.o syscalls.o \
	subr_log.o toy.o vm_swap.o
OV7=    tmscp.o lp.o vm_swp.o rl.o mch_fpsim.o ts.o
OV8=    kern_sysctl.o ingreslock.o ufs_disksubr.o kern_xxx.o vm_proc.o

	We see that

		size kern_subr.o ufs_dsort.o

	gives

		text	data	bss
		820	34	0
		272	0	0

	820 + 272 = 1092

	58304 - 1092 = 57212

	which is great!  It's below 57344.  So, we've found the .o files which
	when moved to an overlay will generate a valid kernel.  Where should
	we put it?

	Well - OV2 looks a little small, is there room there?  8192-6976=1216.
	Yes, there is room.

	So, the kern_subr.o and ufs_dsort.o files are removed from the BASE
	section and added to OV2:

BASE=   br.o cons.o dh.o dhu.o dhv.o dr.o dz.o hk.o ht.o init_sysent.o \
        kern_clock.o kern_descrip.o kern_mman.o kern_proc.o kern_prot.o \
	kern_synch.o machdep.o ram.o kern_fork.o \
	rk.o ra.o rx.o si.o subr_rmap.o sys_inode.o sys_kern.o \
	tm.o tty.o tty_conf.o tty_subr.o tty_tb.o ufs_alloc.o \
	ufs_bio.o ufs_fio.o ufs_inode.o ufs_namei.o \
	vm_sched.o vm_text.o xp.o quota_subr.o
OV2=    kern_acct.o kern_exec.o kern_exit.o kern_resource.o kern_subr.o \
	ufs_dsort.o

	Then exit the editor and type "make".  And voila - no error and
	doing "size unix" yields:

text    data    bss     dec     hex
57280   7778    41206   106264  19f18   total text: 119424
        overlays: 8192,8064,7680,7616,8000,7872,7680,7040

	Perfect!

	*NEVER* simply delete files from the Makefile!  If you did not select
	a device in the config file - the .o is 0 bytes in size.  If for
	example you do not have an RK05 configured do a "size rk.o" and
	you will see that it is "0 0 0".  The .o is only 16 bytes long.

	That is why you didn't notice any difference when moving/deleting
	files - they didn't have anything in them.  "size" is your friend
	when adjusting overlays - trust him.

	NOTE: There are some .o files which *must not* be moved out of the
	base segment.  These are identified as such in the Makefile.

	NOTE: You can not have any gaps in the overlays.  This means that
	there can not be a 0 length (empty) overlay between two populated
	overlays.  The last overlay used may be empty.

	IF all the overlays are full - then add OV7, OV8, OV9, etc lines
	(up to OV15) as needed and put .o files in them.  The Makefile will
	use the new OV lines automatically.

	I hope this makes things a little bit clearer for anyone building
	a 2.11BSD kernel.

	Good Luck!

	Steven Schultz
	sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com

From: wkt@dolphin.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: Re: Compiling 2.11 - also 2.9BSD
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 16:41:04 +1100 (EST)

In atricle by Steven M. Schultz:
> 	Kernels are a special case of overlaid program (user mode programs
> 	may be overlaid too but have less restrictive size rules).  The
> 	BASE segment (non-overlaid portion)  may be up to 56kb (57344) bytes
> 	in size.  Each of the 15 (maximum) overlays (OV1 thru OV15) may be
> 	up to 8kb (8192) bytes.

Firstly, thanks to Steven for a great email. Yes, add it to the docs NOW
before you forget! Secondly, most of what Steven said also applies to
2.9BSD, because it also uses overlays. However, v6 and v7 do not use
overlays, so you can't use these techniques with them.

Ciao,
	Warren

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 22:03:57 -0800
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, wkt at dolphin.cs.adfa.oz.au

Hello -

> From: wkt at dolphin.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
>
> In article by Steven M. Schultz:
> > 	Kernels are a special case of overlaid program (user mode programs
> > 	may be overlaid too but have less restrictive size rules).  The
> > 	BASE segment (non-overlaid portion)  may be up to 56kb (57344) bytes
> > 	in size.  Each of the 15 (maximum) overlays (OV1 thru OV15) may be
>
> Firstly, thanks to Steven for a great email. Yes, add it to the docs NOW
> before you forget! Secondly, most of what Steven said also applies to
> 2.9BSD, because it also uses overlays. However, v6 and v7 do not use

	You're quite welcome.

	I should have had another sentence in the paragraph above:  the
	kernel overlays must be between 48kb and 56kb.  56 is the max,
	but the kernel also has a minimum BASE size of 48kb (but this is
	all too easy to achieve ;-)).

	Steven Schultz
	sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 11:30:55 -0800
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, robin at falstaf.demon.co.uk,
        sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com, sysyphus at crl.com

Hi Robin -

> From: Robin Birch <robin at falstaf.demon.co.uk>
>
> Hi Steve,
> The most recent version (Rev 280) will build GENERIC fine but previous ones
> didn't.  The makefile required tweaking.  Maybe all he needs is the last few
> patches.

	That is most likely what happened - I'd made some changes to the
	kernel just before creating the Rev 277 images (which is what was
	entered into Warren's archive) and didn't double check that the
	GENERIC kernel would build correctly.

	I don't believe I've mentioned it on this mailing list yet but the
	complete collection of 2.11BSD patches/updates are available via
	anonymous FTP to the host FTP.IIPO.GTEGSC.COM in the directory
	/pub/2.11BSD.  There have been 4 updates released recently: 278 thru
	281.

	Cheers.

	Steven

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 13:36:18 GMT
From: Robin Birch <robin@falstaf.demon.co.uk>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com, sysyphus at crl.com

Hi Steve,
The most recent version (Rev 280) will build the GENERIC fine but previous ones
didn't.  The makefile required tweaking.  Maybe all he needs is the last few
patches.

Cheers

Robin

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 13:34:28 GMT
From: Robin Birch <robin@falstaf.demon.co.uk>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, sysyphus at crl.com

Hi,
Well I havn't tried your mix but a DEQNA fits ok.  What you need to do is do
a size on the unix file that has been generated and workout which overlays
are blowing the loader.  If you add the size of the base code and any overlay
together they can't be more than 64k.  Then just move things between overlays
and base until they work.  You don't have to delete the modules that you don't
want, they don't add anything.

Good luck, it can be tricky but it does work after you have pushed a few modules
around.

Robin

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-12-01  5:37 UTC | newest]