The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Building 2.11BSD...Huzzah!
@ 1995-12-04  0:28 Danny R. Brown
From: Danny R. Brown @ 1995-12-04  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

1. That little doc you sent out, Steven, made my day.
2. I got your note on the updates. Thanks again.
3. BSD2.11 is now running fine with a modified kernel. At this point
   it is my pleasure to give you this Bug Report (or, what do I do now?)

a: The Netnix burps at link time. It says:
        ............. long list of modules...uipc_ustteq.o d.netnix.o
Undefined:
_arpresolve
_arpwhohas
_arpinput

It continues to build, but does issue a stop 1 (ignored) message.
At boot time netnix generates a bad magick number and fails to
load. I made the minimum number of modifications to the SYSYTEM
file to install the net.

Questions: Where do I look for the abovementioned symbols?
           Do I have to run Netnix to go multi-user?
Unrelated questions: Will a DZV-11 (four line mux) work in place
of DZ-11? In my experience the Unibus and Q-Buss versions of this
board are 100% software compatible, but I'm failing to get a second
terminal going...

Now, the Real Doozie...
I have, to date, been unable to make any of the Games work. The message
is always "<name> not found". I tried worm, backgammon, wump, fortune,
others from the games directory. Binary dumps show what looks like valid
data in these files.
Spooky, huh?

The Saga Continues...

*      A Personal Message from   *                BASILISK              *
*          Danny R. Brown        *     "Try our other fine flavors!"    *
*       ( sysyphus at crl.com )     *            (404) 392-1691            *
*        Pager:(404)397-0516     *            LYNC host mode            *

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 18:04:49 -0800 (PST)
From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus@crl.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Building BSD2.11 Huzzah! #2

Greetings!
  In my earlier I asked a question about DZ vs. DZV11 support. I am
glad to note that the distributed Kermit works quite happily on
/dev/tty0, the first line on the DZV-11.
  I still can't log on to that line, but the night is young.
Cheers,
D.Brown

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 22:06:03 -0800
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, sysyphus at crl.com
Subject: Re: Building BSD2.11 Huzzah! #2

Greetings -

> From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus at crl.com>
>   In my earlier I asked a question about DZ vs. DZV11 support. I am
> glad to note that the distributed Kermit works quite happily on
> /dev/tty0, the first line on the DZV-11.
>   I still can't log on to that line, but the night is young.

	You have to enable a getty on the port before you can log in on it.

	Edit /etc/ttys, adding if needed a tty00 line. There are numerous
	examples in the file - it should be pretty easy to figure out what
	to add or change.  Then you need to tell 'init' about the change
	by doing a "kill -HUP 1".

	NOTE:  ports are NOT bidirectional - if you're going to enable logins
	on a line you won't be able to kermit _out_.  And vice versa, if you're
	going to kermit out you'll need to disable logins on that line.  Yes
	it'd be nice to have bidirectional ports - but someone keeps stealing
	my copious supply of free time ;-)

	Steven

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 22:01:18 -0800
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, sysyphus at crl.com
Subject: Re: Building 2.11BSD...Huzzah!

Hi -

> From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus at crl.com>
>
> 1. That little doc you sent out, Steven, made my day.
> 2. I got your note on the updates. Thanks again.

	You're welcome.

> a: The Netnix burps at link time. It says:
>         ............. long list of modules...uipc_ustteq.o d.netnix.o
> Undefined:
> _arpresolve
> _arpwhohas
> _arpinput

	I wager you forgot to select the 'NETHER' option in your kernel
	config file.  Setting NETHER to 1 brings in the ARP modules.

> It continues to build, but does issue a stop 1 (ignored) message.

	Hmmm, - the 'netbind' process gives an error about
	undefined symbols.  It sounds like that was ignored.
	That's the signal not to run the kernel.

> At boot time netnix generates a bad magick number and fails to
> load. I made the minimum number of modifications to the SYSYTEM

	That's because the netnix image was not successfully loaded - the
	linker left the header set to something other than a valid a.out
	header.

> Questions: Where do I look for the abovementioned symbols?
>            Do I have to run Netnix to go multi-user?

	In your kernel config file make sure that 'NETHER' is set to 1.

	You could go multi user but you'd likely see a number of errors
	as programs try to use sockets to communicate.

	Best to have a valid kernel+netnix image set before going multiuser.

> Unrelated questions: Will a DZV-11 (four line mux) work in place
> of DZ-11? In my experience the Unibus and Q-Buss versions of this

	It should.  Just don't try to use ports 4,5,6, or 7 that a DZ-11\
	would have.

> I have, to date, been unable to make any of the Games work. The message
> is always "<name> not found". I tried worm, backgammon, wump, fortune,

	sigh.  Did you put /usr/games into your search path?  The games
	are not in /usr/bin or /usr/ucb with the system programs.  Try putting
	/usr/games in your PATH (or simply typing /usr/games/robots).

	Good Luck.

	Steven

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: Still trying v6 build for multiple DL11s ...
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:12:17 +0000 (GMT)

OK, I'm still attempting kernel builds of v6 to support my 2nd DL11-W.
Thanks to everyone who's given me advice so far -- sadly it doesn't
work yet ...

I have two DL11-Ws, one as the console (CSR=0177560, VEC=0060), one as
the first local interface (CSR=0176500, VEC=0300). Under RT11, I'm
able to use both interfaces without trouble (using CONSOL.MAC to
switch from one to the other, since I haven't SYSGENed for
multi-terminal support). Thus I know the hardware works and is
correctly configured.

According to the docs in /usr/docs/start, all I need do to get support
for the second DL11-W is edit /usr/sys/dmt/kl.c to increase NKL11 from
1 to 2. (As far as the KL/DL driver is concerned the only difference
between the two types of interface is the base addresses, and it
happens to be configured so that the first KL11 other than the console
will have a CSR of 0176500, so I choose that one.) I can then rebuild
everything and run /usr/sys/conf/mkconf. At the mkconf prompt I enter
"rk", and "1kl", as stated in the docs. /usr/sys/conf/c.c and
/usr/sys/conf/l.s are built. Inspection of l.s suggests that the
correct interrupt vector of 300 is used ... Inspection of c.c implies
that the KL11 character devices will all have major device number
0. Looking at kl.c, it seems that:

	c	0	0	Console		177560
	c	0	1	1st KL11 	176500
	c	0	2	2nd KL11 	176510
	c	0	3	1st DL11 	175610
	c	0	4	2nd DL11 etc.	175620

I then finish building the kernel and boot from it --- no errors.

Creating the character devices as shown, I get:

	echo fred >/dev/tty0 (the console) works fine
	echo fred >/dev/tty1 (1st DL11)    gives ...
		/dev/tty1: cannot create

So I'm back to square one. As a test I set NKL11 and NDL11 to 4 and
ran mkconf with rk and 8kl. Still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
I'm out of ideas ...

Another interesting thing caught my eye as I was looking at the
docs. Apparently, the system should print out memory size as it
boots. Looking at /usr/sys/ken/main.c, I can see a whole bunch of
"printf"s which print out a copyright message and memory
details. Nothing is actually displayed on the console during boot!

_main is called from m40.s, and printf is a function defined within
the kernel code itself (of course ;)

Any ideas?

Cheers, Bob.

Robert Manners                                  Osney Laboratory
rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                          Dept of Engineering Science
                                                University of Oxford
                                                01865 288762
Try: http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                  Linux - the only choice

      "There's more to life than books you know, but not much more"

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: v6 kernel stuff again ...
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:56:06 +0000 (GMT)

I've found out the reason for the non-printing printf's. The code in
prf.c only actually outputs to the console if the contents of the
switch register are non-zero...  the code in question is the function
putchar() in /usr/sys/ken/prf.c

Still can't get the second DL11 going though ;)

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: v6 with two DL11s now works ... silly me!
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 12:01:19 +0000 (GMT)

I've recently been deluging the list with problems and obseervations
concerning the v6 kernel. Most recently, I discussed the putchar()
routine in /usr/sys/ken/prf.c, which prints messages only if the front
panel switches are set appropriately. I modified that routine by
commenting out an if, so the messages would always be sent to the
console regardless.

Having edited prf.c and rebuilt the kernel, I was suprised to find no
change in the behavior on bootup. Comparing the 'new' and 'old'
kernels (with cmp) showed them to be the same. The problem then is
that the kernel was not being rebuilt correctly.

Accordingly I removed all .o files, and the files /usr/sys/lib1 and
/usr/sys/lib2. I rebuilt again. The lib1 and lib2 files do not build
directly from the /usr/sys/run script, but rather use "ar r" to
replace the files in the libraries with the newly-built object
files. Thus I had to manually build the libraries. NOTE: it is
important to get the object files into the library in the correct
order -- I simply copied the order as for the distributed files...

I remember using tsort and lorder for Minix to determine library
component ordering, but I forget how that works ;)

Having rebuilt everything, not only did the messages print, but also
the second KL11 magically worked. Thus what I had been doing all along
was OK, but the kernel was not being properly built using all the new
object files.

Summary - to set up a second DL11 (configured as the first "local"
interface):

	1) ed /usr/sys/dmr/kl.c

			changing NKL11 to 2

	2) modify /usr/sys/run to call mkconf with the additional
	   parameter:

			1kl

	3) Bob, so to speak, is your uncle.

Be sure everyhing is rebuilt.

I wonder if there is a bug in "ar r", whereby certain files fail to be
inserted into the library, so that old versions persist. Using the "ar
rv" verbose option may be wise ...

Hope this info is useful to those mad enough to want to use v6 ;)
Thanks for all your help.

Next project --- port the v7 shell to v6. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Bob

Robert Manners                                  Osney Laboratory
rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                          Dept of Engineering Science
                                                University of Oxford
                                                01865 288762
Try: http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                  Linux - the only choice

       "I'd rather stay a child
        and keep my self respect,
        if being an adult
        means being like you"   Jello Biafra

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 17:31:36 -0800 (PST)
From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus@crl.com>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Undefined Inconsistency

Greetings:
  When I do a "reboot" the system declares that /dev/ra0f has an
undefined inconsistency (during fsck). It tells me to run fsck
manually, then aborts before starting the daemons.
I have dchecked, ichecked and fscked /dev/ra0f, and it seems to
be a happy partition.
ra0f starts on an even cylinder boundary. It has one file which
occupies some 54% of the space on it.
reboot -f brings everything up normally.

reboot worked at least twice without finding any faults prior to
this boo-boo. Looking through the man pages did not point me in
any yet untried direction. I did encounter a 'bad block' on /dev/ra0d,
the /usr partition, while doing a make clean in usr/src/sys, but this
turned out to be bogus, and did not involve ra0f. Coincidence or ?

All hints appreciated...

*      A Personal Message from   *                BASILISK              *
*          Danny R. Brown        *     "Try our other fine flavors!"    *
*       ( sysyphus at crl.com )     *            (404) 392-1691            *
*        Pager:(404)397-0516     *            LYNC host mode            *

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-12-04  0:28 UTC | newest]