The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Jonathan Gray <jsg@jsg.id.au>
To: segaloco <segaloco@protonmail.com>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Three New Scans (Sys V User and Admin Guides, TS 4.0 Programmer's Package)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:15:42 +1100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 12:59:10AM +0000, segaloco via TUHS wrote:
> Good day everyone, just emailing to notify of three more documents I've uploaded to archive.org since my last slew of them:
>
> https://archive.org/details/unix-programming-starter-package - Up first is the UNIX Programming Starter Package.  This is one of a pair of manuals that saw publication in the Bell system around the time of UNIX/TS 4.0.  The documents here appear to be a subset of those which shipped with Documents for UNIX 4.0. Nothing particularly new here.  There is a companion manual, UNIX Text Editing & Phototypesetting Starter Package, which I also have but haven't hit the scan bench with yet.  Like this one, that is just a subset of papers from the Documents for UNIX collection.  Based on the TOC, this second one also shipped with one of those PWB/MM multi-fold pamphlets, but didn't receive one when I got this.  Luckily that was also scanned as part of the 4.0 collection.  So nothing really new here, save that these are 1st generation scans vs the scans of photocopies for the 4.0 release.  That said, I've seen this set with the same cover motif except with an AT&T death star logo in the upper right.  Didn't look into it too much at the time, but I'd be curious if anyone might have those and if they have the programming one, if it still refers to Release 4.0 in the documentation roadmap.

thanks, covers were added to wikimedia by Craig MacGregor in 2012:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bell_Labs_UNIX_Guides.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Bell_Labs_UNIX_Guides.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bell_Labs_UNIX_Text_Editing_%26_Phototypesetting_Starter_Package_(open).jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Bell_Labs_UNIX_Text_Editing_%26_Phototypesetting_Starter_Package_%28open%29.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bell_Labs_UNIX_Text_Editing_%26_Phototypesetting_Starter_Package_(Table_of_Contents).jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Bell_Labs_UNIX_Text_Editing_%26_Phototypesetting_Starter_Package_%28Table_of_Contents%29.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Western_Electric_UNIX_User%27s_Guide_(open).jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Western_Electric_UNIX_User%27s_Guide_%28open%29.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Western_Electric_UNIX_User%27s_Guide_and_Graphics_Guide.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Western_Electric_UNIX_User%27s_Guide_and_Graphics_Guide.jpg

> https://archive.org/details/unix-system-administrators-guide-5-0 - And this is the Administrator's Guide likewise from SysV era.  This one contains setup and maintenance notes for both DEC (PDP & VAX) and 3B20(S) machines, as well as papers on accounting, LP printing, RJE, filesystem checking, and the System Activity Package.  Additionally, the guide includes the original Modification Request form.

"Get the UNIX Programming Starter Package from your local Computer
Information Service Library."
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Manuals/Unix_4.0/Volume_1/B.1.1_UNIX_Documentation_Roadmap.pdf

"Documentation (available from Computing Information Library,
x3514, IH 7C-102)
UNIX Programming Starter Package
UNIX Text Editing Phototypesetting Starter Package
UNIX System User's Manual (current release)
UNIX BIBLIOGRAPHY"
Indian Hill Computation Center, QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE, November 1983
http://vtda.org/docs/computing/BellLabs/BTL_IHCC_QRG1183.pdf

some photos of Indian Hill and org charts of Lab 534 in 1979
http://web.archive.org/web/20210505130641/http://www.ka9q.net/IH534-recruiting-propaganda.pdf
via Phil Karn in
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/old-bell-labs-indian-hill-recruiting-brochure-phil-karn