The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] How to use Dennis v6?
@ 2021-05-19 18:25 Saif Resun
From: Saif Resun @ 2021-05-19 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello there I’m Resun a teenaged programmer who knows nothing about past days.

Here Index of /Archive/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v6 (tuhs.org)<https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v6/> there are some compressed file of v6 Unix.

And here’s SETTING UP UNIX - Sixth Edition (tuhs.org)<https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Documentation/v6_setup.html> a documentation about how to set it up.

But the documentation is not for me I mean I don’t understand what it’s saying. There are terms like “Mount magtape on drive 0 at load point”, “Mount formatted disk pack on drive 0.”, “Key in and execute at 100000” and lots of other stuffs that newbies like me don’t understand. Is there any easy documentation about it? Or any documentation that tells us what does those terms mean?

Please help me.
Thanks.

* Re: [TUHS] How to use Dennis v6?
@ 2021-05-19 18:33 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-05-19 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saif Resun; +Cc: tuhs

search is your friend:  "simh running sixth edition"
The first hit is Noel's great text:
http://gunkies.org/wiki/Running_UNIX_v6_in_SIMH
There are others in the list including folks from this list not to slight
anyone.

Note to Warren - -- since this topic comes with newbies, maybe a pointer to
gunkies and/or the like next to the distribution might cut down a few of
these questions?
ᐧ

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 2:26 PM Saif Resun <saif.resun@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello there I’m Resun a teenaged programmer who knows nothing about past
> days.
>

> Here Index of /Archive/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v6 (tuhs.org)
> <https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v6/> there
> are some compressed file of v6 Unix.
>

> And here’s SETTING UP UNIX - Sixth Edition (tuhs.org)
> <https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Documentation/v6_setup.html>
> a documentation about how to set it up.
>

> But the documentation is not for me I mean I don’t understand what it’s
> saying. There are terms like “Mount magtape on drive 0 at load point”,
> “Mount formatted disk pack on drive 0.”, “Key in and execute at 100000” and
> lots of other stuffs that newbies like me don’t understand. Is there any
> easy documentation about it? Or any documentation that tells us what does
> those terms mean?
>

> Please help me.
>
> Thanks.

> Windows 10

* Re: [TUHS] How to use Dennis v6?
@ 2021-05-19 18:45 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2021-05-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 19/05/21, Saif Resun wrote:
> But the documentation is not for me I mean I don’t understand what it’s saying. There are terms like “Mount magtape on drive 0 at load point”, “Mount formatted disk pack on drive 0.”, “Key in and execute at 100000” and lots of other stuffs that newbies like me don’t understand. Is there any easy documentation about it? Or any documentation that tells us what does those terms mean?

I documented how you can install it:
http://squoze.net/UNIX/v6/installation

cheers,
aap

* Re: [TUHS] How to use Dennis v6?
@ 2021-05-19 19:22 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2021-05-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Clem Cole

    > search is your friend:

The number of people who come here asking for help, who apparently don't know
how to do a Web search, is pretty astounding. Get off my lawn.

    > The first hit is Noel's great text:

Actually, I didn't write that; another CHWiki contributor imported it from
the Web. (Wouldn't touch SIMH myself... :-)

Most of the other pages at the bottom, in the 'See also' section, I did
write. Some of them might actually be useful. Also, at the bottom of the
'Installing UNIX Sixth Edition on Ersatz-11' page, there are links to a
couple of external pages that have lots of info on how to upgrade a V6
into something semi-usable.

	Noel