The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Arno Griffioen via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
To: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 19:02:17 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:38:38PM -0600, Will Senn wrote:
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available online?

> Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest system that is
> available to get a feel for that variety of OS?

A/UX for one.. It's available in images and it may be bootable on an
m68k Mac emulator.

Finding a more 'vanilla' AT&T SVR2 image may indeed be tricky though..

I have run into quite a lot of SVR2 UNIX installs in the past (on
all sorts of CPU's), but in many cases these were fairly dedicated or almost
'embedded' systems and not so much generic-use UNIX boxes apart from a few
like A/UX.

I suspect the relatively small footprint of SVR2 kept it alive for quite
some time, although not in the mainstream. Kept bumping into these well into
the SVR4 days.

Many such dedicated or small footprint SVR2 installs are totally random as
to how much and which userland there is though...

Some were stripped to the bone with very simple userland commands and
others would have backported SVR3 or even SVR4 userland tools.

Of course this was also in the days when IP was just 'one of the protocols'
so many of these had all sorts of weird and wonderful network stacks
hacked onto them.

							Bye, Arno.