The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] BSD 4.1, 4.1x, Quasijarus, and 4.3x
@ 2022-02-01 21:34 Will Senn
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Will Senn @ 2022-02-01 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

All,

I did my research on this, but it's still a bit fuzzy (why is it that
people's memories from 40 years ago are so malleable?).

1. What are y'all's recollections regarding BSD 4.1's releases, vis a
vis the VAX. In McKusick's piece, Twenty Years of Berkeley Unix, I get
one perspective, and from Sokolov's Quasijarus project, I get quite
another. In terms of popularity and in terms of stable performance, what
say you? Was 4.1 that much better than 4BSD? Was 4.1as obsolete
immediately as McKusick says? 4.1b sounds good with FFS, was it? 4.1c's
the last pre 4.2 release, but it sounds like it was nearly a beta
version of 4.2...

2. Sokolov implies that the CSRG mission started going off the rails
with the 4.3/4.3BSD-Tahoe and it all went pear shaped with the 4.3-Reno
release, and that Quasijarus puts the mission back on track, is that so?

3. I've gotten BSD 4.2 and BSD 4.3 releases built from tape and working
very well. I just can't decide whether to go back to one of the 4.x
releases (hence question 1), or go get Quasijarus0c - thoughts on why
one might be more interesting than another?

4. Is Quasijarus0c end of the line for VAX 4.xBSD? Why does tuhs only
have Quasijarus0 and 0a, was there something wrong with 0b and 0c?

5. Has anyone unearthed an original 4.1 tape, or is Haertel's
reconstruction of the 1981 tape 1 release as close as it gets?

Later,

Will