The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Matthias Bruestle <m@mbsks.franken.de>
To: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Why is it always "fast boot" in 2.11BSD?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 14:12:25 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 12:35:20AM +0200, Matthias Bruestle wrote:
> Just had a look at an image patched to 469. There are awesome
> improvements. There is top, swap space and a clean flag. I will try to
> get it to 473. The clean flag is really useful, because the complete
> fsck of the RA92 image on the ESP32 take at least an hour. On the
> first glance it looks like someone investet a lot of work into
> a proper startup.

So I took the 2.11BSD pl469 (is there a custom how to specify the pl?)
from PiDP11. It is a bit larger than an RA72. I truncated it to the RA72
size, because simh would only use it r/o. I haven't noticed a problem
because of this and the partitions look good, although I would have
partitioned it differently. 8MB for /, 410MB for /usr and 550MB for
/home. / is already 44% full.

Patching went well. Pasted a shar of a tar, because I am still not able
to read a tape. (Tips on simh configuration and device?) Haven't looked
at pl469, but I can say pl473 is really nice. It boots after a few seconds
on its own just like a modern Linux. It is doing also a fsck just like a
modern Linux depending on the state of the fs. Initializing everything
down to the multiuser state and login. AFAIK 2BSD was used in the past
for doing work. I would have expected something like it is now from old
2.11BSD versions. Maybe the automatic booting with timeout is a newer
invention and top a newer software, but the features, which were there
should have been working in a conventient way. In case someone here
helped making the patches: Thanks!

With my port of esppdp (based on simh 4) to the M5Stack Core2 and the
wifid daemon from esppdp I have now a nice running PDP-11 in a box of
5.5*5.5*1.5cm. Screenshot of top running on it via a telnet login.

Matthias

--
When You Find Out Your Normal Daily Lifestyle Is Called Quarantine