The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Jonathan Gray <jsg@jsg.id.au>
To: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Fifth Edition Manual Restoration
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 17:33:12 +1100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 11:51:05PM +0000, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023, Rob Pike wrote:
>
> > Later that year we, mostly Bill, coupled it to troff, along with some
> > digitized fonts, and it went out on the Toronto tapes, with our names on it.
> > For many years I saw evidence in scientific papers of people using Bill's
> > digitization of the Bodoni fonts.
>
> Do you recall the name of this software or project? I tried various
> greps in a few of the Usenix archives but cannot tell what it is.
> Thanks

"This page appears twice in this issue.  The first copy is the usual
phototypesetter output.  The second copy is the product of the Toronto
typesetter simulator for the Versatec.

The spacing between characters in the Versatec simulation does not
appear correct due to the fact that the phototypesetter is mounted with
the Sovran font and therefore the Toronto software is taking those font
widths into account in calculating its spacing even though it is
printing using Roman fonts."

https://archive.org/details/login_november-1977/mode/2up

"Bill Reeves, who also wrote vcat, a Versatec typesetter-simulator which
runs as an output filter to troff.  Vcat (which was used to generate
this document) is available free as part of the University of Toronto
distribution #3."
https://archive.org/details/login_january-1980/page/n9/mode/2up

I can't find the original Toronto distribution.
Some documentation (no source) for a modified version with credits in:
tuhs/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/del.tar.gz delaware/usgs.v7
"USGS Menlo Park Unix"
U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, California

delaware/usgs.v7/man/chap1/trot.1
trot - troff output rotating program
AUTHOR
Bill Reeves, University of Toronto
Martin Pensak, University of California, San Francisco

delaware/usgs.v7/man/chap1/vcat.1
vcat - interpreter of troff output for Versatec
AUTHORS
Bill Reeves, University of Toronto
Martin Pensak & Thomas Ferrin, University of California, San Francisco
William Joy, University of California, Berkeley

delaware/usgs.v7/man/chap5/tfonts.5
tfonts - troff versatec font usage
AUTHOR
Bill Reeves at University of Toronto.

CSRG SCCS admin/admin/contrib/contrib has:
Versatec printer/plotter support        University of Toronto