The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Jonathan Gray <jsg@jsg.id.au>
To: Paul Ruizendaal <pnr@planet.nl>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: x/y/zmodem on Unix
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:46:44 +1000	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 12:31:30AM +0200, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:
> I had always associated x/y/zmodem with CP/M and MSDOS, not so much with Unix. Last December Clem already pointed out that it was popular for file exchange in the Unix scene as well, along with several other similar tools. Also, the ymodem approach to file metadata is very unix oriented, suggesting it originated on Unix or at least that Unix users were an important user demographic. Yet, I could find little trace of x/y/zmodem in the TUHS Unix Tree. The search tool finds it in 2.11BSD, in Minix 1.5 and 2.0 and in V10. Kermit is in those as well, and in 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD on top.

have a look at
tuhs/Applications/Shoppa_Tapes/usenix878889.tar.gz
usenix87/Comm/
usenix89/Comm/

also appears in
386bsd/othersrc/public/zmodem-3.03/
where the license was changed to prohibit commercial use after
the RLE changes in April 1989

https://www.ohse.de/uwe/software/lrzsz.html
is derived from an earlier version with the license changed to GPLv2