The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd request: Text of Caldera's free licenses for UnixWare/OpenServer
@ 2020-01-27  0:21 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-01-27  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, I was asked by Max to pass this query on to the TUHS list. Can
you e-mail back to Max directly. Thanks, Warren

----- Forwarded message from Maximilian Lorlacks <maxlorlax@protonmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 19:46:38 +0000
From: Maximilian Lorlacks <maxlorlax@protonmail.com>
To: "wkt@tuhs.org" <wkt@tuhs.org>
Subject: Fwd request: Text of Caldera's free licenses for UnixWare/OpenServer

Hi Warren,

Could you please forward this to the TUHS list?  I'm not a subscriber
to the list, but I perhaps someone there might know something about
this.

In 2001 and early 2002 (I can't believe it's already been almost two
decades), Caldera Systems, Inc. offered non-commercial licenses at no
cost for OpenServer 5.0.6, UnixWare 7.1(.1?) and Open UNIX 8.  However,
the web archive could not to capture the actual agreement hidden behind
the entrypoint form. I failed to get a license during that time since I
wasn't really interested in UNIX at that point, but in the interest of
historical preservation, I'm interested if anyone got those licenses
from back then and if so, if they've saved the actual license agreement
text.  I'm interested in what it reads.  I'm also curious about whether
the license keys from back then still work with Xinuos's new
registration platform, but it's probably too much to ask for people to
test that.

Please note that I am *not* trying to revive the trainwreck that is
the issue of the validity and scope of the Ancient UNIX license.  The
only way to properly resolve that would be a letter signed from Micro
Focus's legal department, but they've made it exceedingly clear that
they will persistently ignore any and all attempts to elicit any kind
of response regarding Ancient UNIX.

Cheers,

Max

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: [TUHS] Fwd request: Text of Caldera's free licenses for UnixWare/OpenServer
@ 2020-01-27 20:41 ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2020-01-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: Maximilian Lorlacks