Nice. the Rainbow was my first working PC. I loved it. It had a math coprocessor (that  I upgraded), z80 and 8088, with 1MB ram (that I upgraded it to, from 128k), ran Autocad! MSDOS 3.10b, CP/M and it was the machine I used with a 300baud modem to download the pre 1.0 slackware - kermit/xmodem through a VMS gateway to the internet - 1993/1994. I didn't have emacs though! I think I remember Ultrix or something like that, but I didn't run it. On 8/3/23 19:32, Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Thu, Aug 3, 2023, 6:19 PM Adam Thornton wrote: > > There are certainly teco implementations for Unix, although I > don't know if it was ever anyone's default editor aInywhere.  > Indeed, there are multiple implementations: I switched from a C > teco implementation to pyteco in the Rubin Science Platform > JupyterLab implementation (its utility is of course dubious, but > this is part of both my nefarious plan to make Jupyter not merely > mean "Julia, Python, and R", but to use that "e" -- and > reassociate it with the "t" -- by making it mean "Julia, Python, > Teco, and R", and also to include an easter egg for a fellow > project member who is a teco fan). > > The first Emacs I used was GNU emacs at already version...16 or > something?  In 1989, on ... I don't remember what the main system > I used at the UT Austin Chaos Lab was, actually; we had an SGI > Iris, but that wasn't the machine I did my editing on.  But by > 1989 it was certainly well-available and established. > > > We used some stripped down emacs in 1985 on the vax 11/750 running > 4.2bsd.   I built micro emacs for my DEC Rainbow under MS-DOS in the > same time period... > > Warner > > On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Will Senn wrote: > > As a longtime user and lover of ed/ex/vi, I don't know much > about emacs, but lately I've been using it more (as it seems > like any self-respecting lisper, has to at least have a > passing acquaintance with it). I recently went off and got > MACLISP running in ITS. As part of that exploration, I used > EMACS, but not just any old emacs, emacs in it's first > incarnation as a set of TECO macros. To me, it just seemed > like EMACS. I won't bore you with the details - imagine lots > of control and escape sequences, many of which are the same > today as then. This was late 70's stuff. > > My question for the group is - when did emacs arrive in unix > and was it a full fledged text editor when it came or was it > sitting on top of some other subssystem in unix? Was TECO ever > on unix? > > Will >