From: "Derrik Walker v2.0" <dwalker@doomd.net>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] UNIX or unix
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 15:36:06 -0500

On 11/9/19 12:20 PM, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
> I was reading the comments on Hackaday on UNIX at 50
> (https://hackaday.com/2019/11/05/will-the-real-unix-please-stand-up/).
> As expected, a lot of manure but some interesting comments from
> seemingly knowledgeable people.
>
> One comment
> (https://hackaday.com/2019/11/05/will-the-real-unix-please-stand-up/#comment-6192977),
> from a DDS, stated that (s)he worked at The Bell and they wrote it
> "unix" (lower-case) to distinguish it from MULTICS.  Anyone care to
> comment on this?
>
> N.

It was always my understanding, based totally on hearsay from engineers
from both Sun and SGI back in my early days with it, UNIX is the OS,
while unix, or vmunix is the kernel. Unix was deprecated by the time it
became a real commercial product.

So, right or wrong, I've always used UNIX for the OS, and unix, or
vmunix as appropriate, to refer to the kernel.

- Derrik

--

Derrik Walker v2.0
dwalker@doomd.net

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak

  parent reply index