The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-27 19:19 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2014-09-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All.

This is really gonna stretch the memories. (I may have even asked about
it on this list before.)

At one of the earlier USENIX conferences that I attended, maybe in
Atlanta, there was a contest to make up humorous new errno values.
The one that won, which I remember to this day was:

EMISTERED:
	A host is a host from coast to coast,
	and no-one can talk to host that's close,
	unless the host that isn't close
	is busy, hung, or dead.

I have quoted this is the gawk doc for many years.

I'm wondering if there is a way to find out who was the author
of this gem? I'd like to give him/her credit.

Thanks,

Arnold

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-10-02 13:00 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2014-10-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

arnold at skeeve.com:

  Can you grep for EMRED?  (Doesn't match ENO).

====

Why not grep for E[A-Z][A-Z]*?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON