On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Bakul Shah wrote: > From the horse’s mouth (as per https://www.talisman.org/~erlkonig/documents/dennis-ritchie-and-hash-bang.shtml ): > > > From: "Ritchie, Dennis M (Dennis)** CTR **" > To: > > Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:37:37 -0600 > Subject: RE: What do -you- call your #! line? > > I can't recall that we ever gave it a proper name. > It was pretty late that it went in--I think that I > got the idea from someone at one of the UCB conferences > on Berkeley Unix; I may have been one of the first to > actually install it, but it was an idea that I got > from elsewhere. > > As for the name: probably something descriptive like > "hash-bang" though this has a specifically British flavor, but > in any event I don't recall particularly using a pet name > for the construction. > > Regards, > Dennis > > > [Sorry about the html] In the process of replying, I've de-htmlized it. ;) Anyway, I use "pound-bang" which is basically the same thing, although I must say it has a particular violent quality about it... -uso.